Kill Thread Button?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kill Thread Button?

AntiOnline Newbie

Kill Thread Button?

How's about a button that members with a certain number of posts or APs can click on to kill a thread (ie. "How do you hack Hotmail") - and after the thread receives 10 "kill clicks" (or some other number of clicks) it gets deleted?

Would save server space and relieve JP and his moderators from having to close all the "doh!" threads.

Just an idea... Need sleep -- zzzzzz
    Share on Google+

hmm... could have bad reprecusions that would allow high ap users to have a "kill thread war" lol
    Share on Google+

heh heh

Great idea!

I'm wondering... Did a bus service the wrong street corner or something cuz it sure seems like we're getting hit with a bunch of 'em! Oh yeah... Schools out for the summer... That's what it is.

Hurry JP! and make it five "kill clicks!" LoL

Rev
    Many will ask, \"Where do you want to go today?\" because they\'re still scratching for ideas.

With *NIX, there\'s already a way. The sum of us just need roadmaps to get there.
    Share on Google+

Good idea. But, I would have to vote no. Because then you run a possibilty of small click groups running the show. What if we had about 10 lamers play it cool till they became seniors then wammo, they'd kill any post that they did'nt like.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

Share on Google+

Sure, someone could do that but for how long would they get away with it? Couldn't their status be "reset" and they start from ground zero again? (I think that would be more humiliating than being banned )

Another thought... once someone passes "newbie" status, they're not as likely to begin ridiculous threads. Would it suffice to have the "kill button" work on only threads that are started by newbies?

Taking both thoughts a little further, if someone has a higher status, more "kill points" could be required to flush a thread. That would decrease the chance of foresaid lamer groups working their way up to play their games.

Oh well... Just thinking,

Rev
    Many will ask, \"Where do you want to go today?\" because they\'re still scratching for ideas.

With *NIX, there\'s already a way. The sum of us just need roadmaps to get there.
    Share on Google+

Originally posted here by Rev Jazzman
    Another thought... once someone passes "newbie" status, they're not as likely to begin ridiculous threads.
    Sometimes yes and sometimes no. We have had longtime senior members go off their rocker before and start posting stupid threads. Also we have had them abuse the system.

True that JP could ban them or knock them back down. But, that brings us full circle to the point that it would give JP more work to monitor this.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

Share on Google+

Actually guys, one of the FAQs says that the general chat forum isn't censored or edited, but that offensive posts will just be hidden. So, killing threads is something that I think the moderators are striving to just make less obvious rather than kill completely. At least, I think I remember reading that...

While I believe in that asw a principle, perhaps say that anyone with senior status and a least one bright green dot (or maybe more) can click on a new button to "vote" to move a thread in to a new "examples of things not to do on this board" forum or something... and anyone not logged in, with newbie status, only sees those posts on the front page.
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"
    Share on Google+

Hi mom!
    I don't think a kill-thread button is a good idea, but I'm definatly for adding some more moderators, certainly now Ennis has left us for a while.

I think two moderators for each forum is a minimum - see what happens to the General Chit-Chat forum now Ennis is gone... I'm not saying we should have another bunch of other moderators, let Negative, Terr and Ennis have some more powers instead.
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.
    Share on Google+

Perhaps that is best, then...

Even if "moderation is the spice of life, " I don't think it's a job I would want. My Hat's off to the mods! Keep AO beautiful!

Rev

Share on Google+

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    I was thinking something like this, but it would have a Good and Bad button for seniors or addicts or ap status or something (he always did say that AP's were going to give some benifit). If it recieved 5 bad clicks, it would remove the thread from the main page. But with the good button, it could bring the page back up. Any time that there were 5 more bad votes then good votes, the thread would be kept from the main page....

Then we could give JP more work and have him give us a top10 of people who's threads have been voted off the main page
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman
    Share on Google+