Thread: new atm machines

Post new atm machines

Most cash machines today run on International Business Machines’ aging OS/2 operating platform, which banks say is expensive to operate and to program. However, IBM isn’t selling OS/2 to new customers, and many banks already are switching to the more flexible Microsoft NT operating system.

** taken from http://www.msnbc.com/news/762735.asp?0dm=T12NT

can ATM machines be hacked in a similar manner as a computer? nearly everyone seems to complain about microsoft operating systems so wouldn't this make them less secure?
    A+, Network+ Certified.

wouldnt be the first time a ATM machine has been hacked or glitched

i wouldnt worry 2 much about it though, we always have our trusting FBI
    [shadow]i have a herd of 1337 sheep[/shadow]
    Worth should be judged on quality... Not apperance... Anyone can sell you **** inside a pretty box.. The only real gift then is the box..

indeed, damn them
    -AcIdblAsT

Well as long has ATMs don't have floppy drives!

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

Most of the ATM's around here have a videocam running 24/7. Probably works better for the crimebusters than trying to trace an IP involved in an online caper.

I am sure that all the vunerabilities that come packaged with NT will be availible on atms as well. It is a sad day for the banking industry.
    The more I deal with people, the more I LOVE my computer.

Best and latest ATM scam was around here and foubd out. They covered the camera and then set up a phony card reader was used to collect numbers and cards, a small video camera was hidden also to see the keypad. Don't recall the details more or less phoney ATM set up to steal card and pin numbers. Like I said did not work for very long and they lost some nice equipment to boot.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg