Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Win Xp administration Help. . . .

Win Xp administration Help. . . .

Hi,
    I just got a Admin Job at my New School,its a new school they have like 2 years , 2 weeks ago we setup the whole network, and the teachers told me that when they had the old network the students used to do all kinds of stuff to Fuc% the computers. they decided that only the admin username should be used to logging to the computers and inside the admin account changeing identidies , but because the principal and i were the only ones with the password, and i had to wake up early every day to go and get the network online, because they don't whant the network to stay up 24/7, but i recieved an email a few hours ago, that i could put 2 user accounts at the Welcome Screen, but i was testing in my own computer, and i created the accounts, and they didn't show up at the Welcome Screen, what do you think i did wrong? ? ?

any other suggestions that could help secure the school network

by the way im using Win XP pro on all the computers at my school.

any programs or security messurements that any of you recomend i would apreciate.

thanks in advanced

Well go into control panel, then select users and select user accounts. Then diC* arround there you will find it. If all else fails use help.

thanks lol i just restarted my computer and in the botom right i just read what you just posted, lol , the answer was there all the time , i was trying to create the account with the administrative tools that was my problem,

but if someone with more experience could help me in who to secure the network i wold really apreciate the advice

know i have another question , when i'm creating an acount and i get to the account type i can only select computer administrator the Limited option is disable i think. does any one knows how to bypass it or what setting should i change ? ? ?

I pity your school employing you.
    there is a wealth of information regarding securing networks and XP, why don't you spend time reading up on the background and learn security for yourself.
    Posting stupid questions like this on a security site is just reinforcing the fact that your not qualified to be an Admin, XP is an operating system that is designed to aid idiots, the fact your having problems with such a fool proof OS reinforces the fact your an absolute idiot.

My advice is for the sad muppets that employed you, go and hire somebody that knows their arse from their elbows and you'll be in a better position than you are now.

And advice for gabrial_c, start reading and learning before your employer realises that the kids are more technically competant to run the network than you.

J.
    [glowpurple]manually editing your config files can break them. If this happens, you get to keep both pieces. [/glowpurple]

jcdux, this is a Forum and i can post anything related to Network Security aslong that is not compromising anything or anyone,I enter antionline to find help and to read about whats new or even if i can help some one i do it, not to call "Idiot" some one that doesn't know how to do something that i know how to do it , if i see a threat and i don't like it i just don't reply or make an offencive comment about it, i think that you like many of other users here know more about network security and other topics that me, but the fact that you know more about the topic that me, doesn't give you anyright to call me idiot or whatever other insult.
    But thanks for your time and replying to my post
    Have a nice day

i think you don't understand what he says , he says that u were supposed to know these things when u were employed because these r basic things needed for job u do . if know anything else it's abenefit for u not us . As for windows me too a windows user for my many works and it really is very easy to operate as u don't have to learn commands u just have to click .rest assured u'll get ur work done just use it for some time and try new things u may be on ur way to tell others how to do things

///quote///know i have another question , when i'm creating an acount and i get to the account type i can only select computer administrator the Limited option is disable i think. does any one knows how to bypass it or what setting should i change ? ? ?///quote///

Hmm, you should always be able to create a Limited Account. I do know that you must have at least one Administrator account at all times. The system will not let you change the last Administrator Account to a Limited account. Is this what you are trying to do? The system won't let you do that if it is. You need to create a completely new Limited Account. If I'm misunderstanding you, please clarify your answer. And, this isn't meant to be insulting, but when you post, please take the time to be as clear and concise as possible, and use your best spelling and grammar. People will be better able to help if they can understand you.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

thanks preacherman481,
    what i meant was that i have the admin account, but i try to create a new aco**** (3levelStu)not to change the admin account, and the limited options is disable, but i already have a admin account on that box.

Hi,
    Well, I don't know then. I have Windows XP Home, and I just did:

1)Control Panel
    2)User Accounts
    3) Create a new account
    4)Then another screen where I filled in the name for the account (I used Bubba).
    5)Then I clicked next.
    6)Then it gave me a choice between two radio buttons (Administrator and Limited).
    7) I clicked Limited and clicked ok, and it created the account.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

thanks anyway preacherman481, have a nice day.