Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hotmail crap...

Hotmail crap...

When I blocked cookies from "msn.com" and tried to go to hotmail, it wouldn't let me. Isn't that ironic?

My personal firewall blocks all cookies, but I can still get to hotmail.
    SoggyBottom.

[glowpurple]There were so many fewer questions when the stars where still just the holes to heaven - JJ[/glowpurple] [gloworange]I sure could use a vacation from this bull$hit, three ringed circus side show of freaks. - Tool. [/gloworange]

I blocked the cookies in IE. Maybe that had something to do with it?

Originally posted here by SoggyBottom
    My personal firewall blocks all cookies, but I can still get to hotmail.
    Yeah, but can you log in and check hotmail?

I blocked both "passport.com" and "msn.com" and when I tried to log in, it kept sending me back to the same login page. I unblocked one, and it would keep asking me for my password.

I might be wrong, but I think MSN plants a cookie, that your browser has to carry over to the validation page which(I think) is lw.blah.blah... and when it detects your cookie from the first page, it lets you in.
    I would recommend not using hotmail anymore, check this out if you're interested http://indymedia.org/front.php3?article_id=184573
    \"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist.\" -- Dom Helder Camara

Hotmail is thinking of charging poeple anyways

once something is taken over by M$.. it goes downhill from there..

Hotmail is beginning to charge everyone for everything that isn't classified as 'basic service'. For example, you are only alotted a small amount of storage space, and I just got the e-mail today stating that POP retrieval is discontinued unless I order the 'premium service' for 10 bucks a month. That's why my reply-to address is my address at Operamail, and hotmail is being phased out of my usage.

And speaking of Opera...that is the browser that I use, and hotmail always warns me that I won't be able to use all features of the hotmail/msn site, which I can't...can't change options, settings, etc., but I can still read all of my mail. IE, on the other hand, when blocking cookies, won't let me into any of the msn.com(.net) sites, so that's probably it. Set your security in IE to Medium High, and you should be fine with hotmail.

Ouroboros
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    Taken from MSNBC
    Microsoft’s MSN said Wednesday that Hotmail users who want to retrieve e-mail from outside accounts through the service will have to pay up starting July 16. In an e-mail notice to Hotmail users, MSN announced that for $19.95 a year, MSN Extra Storage would allow them to continue to use POP Mail Retrieval. The POP service allows customers to access various e-mail accounts through one Hotmail account.

IN ADDITION, the paid service provides 10MB of Hotmail storage, allowing people to send and receive larger attachments, and ensures that unused accounts will not expire. Hotmail requires its free users to log on every 30 days to keep an account active.

“Those people who are already paying for MSN Extra Storage will not have any increase in fees,” said Parul Shah, product manager for MSN. “With 110 million Hotmail users, MSN needs to drive revenue to support the resources that it takes to provide free services.”
    This move is yet another sign that the free Internet ride is over. The Hotmail announcement is just the latest in a series of companies beginning to charge for Internet services that were once free. Last month, Yahoo implemented fees for checking e-mail outside of its services and storing some data through Yahoo Photos and Briefcase.

Hotmail users recently have seen some folders cleaned out and some e-mail messages returned to the sender as MSN attempts to convince heavy e-mail users to upgrade to the increased storage offered in the premium version of Hotmail.
    Separately Wednesday, MSN launched MSN Shopping Alerts, which lets consumers know about sales on certain e-commerce sites. This service is free, but Microsoft says it will eventually charge a fee for it .
    Why I use yahoo, but even that is starting to go downhill.

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    MS has always wanted to shove stuff onto your machine's drive making it easier to 'handle' you. What I would suggest is to get out of hotmail.com and go somewhere else for a freemail account.

Those interested in a linux-oriented freemail, check out www.linuxfreemail.com ... it's free and it's a freemail server. Sure it's not as known but hey, 16,000 other people have found it useful!
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.