FreBSD Ports

Thread: FreBSD Ports

Question FreBSD Ports

hi everyone
    i know i'm pry making this harder then it really is, but i'm trying to install netscape on my freeBSD 4.4 box from the ports collection, but when i use the make command all i get is error output. i put the output into the attached file. it mostly looks like garbage at first, but if you scroll down to the bottom of the file you'll see all the "error line" warnings. what am i doing wrong here?? any suggestions would be GREATLY appricated.

thanks in advance!
    U suk at teh intuhnet1!!1!1one

Jabberwocky,

The log shows exactly what is happening when you execute make (don't be intimidated by logs, they won't bite... If fact, sometimes you'll find them to be your best friends)...

First, it looks to see if the file (communicator-v478-us.x86-unknown-linux2.2.tar.gz) is existant localy (/usr/ports/distfiles/).

Second (becaue the file is non-existant), it attempts to locate it on a preset list of ftp servers (which accounts for the ">> Attempting to fetch..." lines).

Thirdly (because the file could not be fetched [for whatever reason]), it sais, "Couldn't fetch it - please try to retrieve this port manually into /usr/ports/distfiles/ and try again."

What that means is simply this... Go to www.freebsd.org, click on ports, find the file mentioned in the first step, manually download it and place it in /usr/ports/distfiles/. Then try again, and it should work fine.

All of those messages at the end ("Error code 1 Stop in...") simply lets you know that each of the make processes have closed.

So get the file and everything will be okay.

Rev
    Many will ask, \"Where do you want to go today?\" because they\'re still scratching for ideas.

With *NIX, there\'s already a way. The sum of us just need roadmaps to get there.

BTW...

It's easier to run "/stand/sysinstall " as root and select a ftp server for retreiving the files instead of using your CDs(assuming you have the CDs, anyway... but then again, I thought that package was available on CD? hmmm...). Besides, it simplifies the process of "make/make install."

Oh well... just something you may want to consider if your not yet comfortable with the way BSD works (not being insulting, mind you... I've been plugging away at FreeBSD for a little over 2 years now and I've still only scratched the surface of it). It's a great OS, ain't it?

Rev
    Many will ask, \"Where do you want to go today?\" because they\'re still scratching for ideas.

With *NIX, there\'s already a way. The sum of us just need roadmaps to get there.