Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WebHosting Problem

WebHosting Problem

I'm trying to set up my own little hosting provider. But i don't know what to price people.

I want to offer a package that is adjustable. It includes ASP, CGI, Perl, PHP and X ftp accounts/customer. Also X pop3 accounts/customer. They get Xmb/customer webspace.

Now I want a formula that creates a reasonable price both for me and the customer. Like, 3 times the mb amount plus the.... blablabla etc etc. Can you guys help me on this? I tried a few but i wasn't really satisfied with my own results
    Bleh.

Banned
    Really its all up to you, but think of it this way, be CHEEPER then everyone else.... your a small company, probably not running the fasts servers or most advanced.... start off with small prices like 5 bux a month or something like that.... @5 bux a month you have 20 customers u make 100 a month for doing absolutely nothing.....

then also add the money you would get from advertising(i suggest u look into that) and your making decent money, let your customers grow and grow... start offering MORE and charege MORE for it and then you will ahve 100 customers @ 10 bux a month ur making 1000 bux a month.

see where im getting to?

start small.

Yea thats good advice, because if you put your prices up too high to start with then probably no one will use your services and they'll just go somewhere else.

The cheapest hosting I have seen is $1.99 per month and that gives you:100 MB space
    ~ 10 e-mails
    ~ FrontPage extensions
    ~ Apache ASP
    ~ 24-hour FTP access

I always wanted to do that myself, but having a full-time job I just wouldn't have the time to dedicate to it.

Just watch out. People are going to want guaranteed uptime...and you're gonna have to give refunds (or god forbid getting sued) if your server goes down and you aren't aroudn to make sure it's back up within a few minutes.

That alone scared me off of web hosting, until I have the time (and can make enough money off it) to actually do it myself 24x7.

Click and Build Pricelist

Slightly different principle - we provide a web site content management tool that I wrote for our users (UK buying groups) - but for what it's worth here's our pricelist.

Hope it's helps some
    \"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.\"
    Sir Winston Churchill.

There are some really top-end services out there, some who provide respectable low-end hosting requirements with their domain-name sales. Browse around and see what the market is offering, then price your quality of features, support and reliability accordingly.

Thanx guys. Found something.
    Bleh.

Re: WebHosting Problem

Originally posted here by Sick Dwarf
    I'm trying to set up my own little hosting provider. But i don't know what to price people.

I want to offer a package that is adjustable. It includes ASP, CGI, Perl, PHP and X ftp accounts/customer. Also X pop3 accounts/customer. They get Xmb/customer webspace.

Now I want a formula that creates a reasonable price both for me and the customer. Like, 3 times the mb amount plus the.... blablabla etc etc. Can you guys help me on this? I tried a few but i wasn't really satisfied with my own results
    i tried to come up with a formula as well, then i decided not to, but adjusted the prices accordingly so it is cheaper than everyone else, like what Dome said, and vary services, like how many pop accts, etc, and offer the friendliest personal service, and be more reliable than the big people. good luck!

p.s. one important thing to keep in mind is that you don't compromise security.

regards,
    mark.
    \'hi, welcome to *****. if you would like to speak to an operator, please hang up now.\'
    * click *

I know you said you found something, but for everyone else interested....

I was checking around my local ISP's prices and all, and came out to a formula that did well.

This is in USD by the way.

(.25 * MB) + (.50 * POP3) + (2 * FTP)

50 mb with 10 pop3 and 1 ftp account = 19.50/mo (my ISP is 20.00/mo)
    100mb with 35 pop3 and 3 ftp = 48.50/mo (my ISP is 50.00/mo)

Mmmmm, that is a nice formula, keep posting pplz.
    Bleh.