Novell 6, I Want Admin :D

Thread: Novell 6, I Want Admin :D

Novell 6, I Want Admin :D

Ok, my current quest is to gain administrative powers of some sort on a Novell 6 network, ive gotten them before, but it was by luck, i used a prog like WinPWL to get a password when an admin left his workstation to go use the bathroom, to make a long story short, somebody got caught, and now all the passwords have been changed and they make sure they are logged out now, even if they leave the console for a minute. so i need a way to gain admin access from an ordinary workstation (i dont have access to the server room) without there being any trail or evidence that it was me.

Any ideas? Tips? ive read some stuff about using .NDS or binary files or something, but i got lost about half way through. So can somebody give me some help in "newbie"
    ~The Truth Will Set You Free~
    Share on Google+

str34m3r
    This is asecurity site. I suggest you click on the edit thread button and then delete this thread before you get too many flames. Then try asking a security question instead of a hacking question.
    Share on Google+

First off you don't have access to the server room is a good clue no one here is going to answer this. Second if they know you have accessed at workstation and now they log off, even to use the can they know someone accessed the system, first security step when you know of unauthorized access is to change passwords. Best bet is to drop what ever you are doing becuse they know what's up. And maybe one good way to loose a job a company's puters are not your learning playground, ask Admin for access and tell them why you need it.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg
    Share on Google+

Just to add a thought to what Palemoon stated...

Where it is true that changing passwords is an easy step for system security (and should be done often), keeping more defining logs is another must. If your sysadmin doesn't want you in the system with Administrative rights, then I suggest you stay out. Don't assume he doesn't know how to do his job. Just because he's in the restroom doesn't mean he won't know... The devil is in the details, and your attempts (successfull or not) WILL be logged.

If you need more access for getting your job done, then ask for it. It's his job to make sure you are able to do yours. If you don't need that access, then it's probably his job job to make sure you don't have it... Just remember... He's not going to throw away his career over your recklessness. That's a battle you won't win.

Rev
    Many will ask, \"Where do you want to go today?\" because they\'re still scratching for ideas.

With *NIX, there\'s already a way. The sum of us just need roadmaps to get there.
    Share on Google+

Underdogg: I once had fifty to seventy accounts cracked in my old school using netware... because the individual users had bad passwords... I feel dirty. <tries to get unseen filth off of himself... > ... at least I was principled enough not to actually log in

But aside from that, I would recommend reading up on what PWL files are, how they are constructed, and seeing if any are left over on machines that people have logged in on.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency
    Share on Google+

Hey Rev good point those pesky logs, Admin knows of an intrusion now where do we keep those things LOL. Not to mention Novels nice logs thing. Terr is ok there was a time all this started ehtics played a role and such things were ageed upon before attempts, and seems where in the same part of the world. School systems are the most diffcult to secure take care of what is out going in and then you have the ones on the inside raising havoic, dot edu admins have it hard but evewn now most edu systems watch for internal scans cause when people in the system do them they are on the phone testing ligit stuff. Also goo point Terr even though you have to access accounts as Admin you do the job and do not snoop...unless it is called for or is requested.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg
    Share on Google+

Ok, sorry if i came off as a hacker type , just trying to get access for distructive purposes, but in my school (yes, thats where im at, at a school) students are given very little space on the server, but the problem is, about 30% of students dont even use there account space, not only that, but if the sh*t computers screw up the you must wait about 15 mins for the server to update and realize that your not logged in. the ability to get around this is called simultaneous logins, the teachers have them, and sing PWL's i've aquired teacher passwords, and have used them to get me out of a bad situation many times, but i feel bad betraying there trust like that, so my plan, was to get the admin password, so i could give my personal student login simultaneous logins, and access to some more server space (i know the space is there, and unused). anyway, i was just looking for an easier alternative to PWL's.

Sorry folks if i came off as someone with a destructive personality or a hacker or something, but im just sick of waiting to login, because the dirt cheap computers fritz out. And, our Admin guy is only in the school like once every month, so getting in touch with him is near impossible.
    ~The Truth Will Set You Free~
    Share on Google+