Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie Firewall Question

Thank you very much guys for replying, I searching the net for each file to try and determine wheather its spyware or a legit service for driver upgrade check etc. I know MS phones home and Im trying to figure out where and thru what programs it does so I can block those, I still dont understand why Explorer.Exe needs to access the net. But Im hunting the reason, just havent found it yet. I have lavasoft on my sys but I also have kazza and so I have to leave some spyware on sys to keep kazza up and running correctly. As far as the 4-5 files that Im not sure about Ive blocked and unblocked and everything seems to run fine so Im just going to leave em Blocked for now. Thanks to everyone that posted for the nice welcome and the help that you did provide.

Kudos

Ferret
    "Weke Weke"

Thanks for the link, str34m3r... I might order a game or two to try it out

I thought that there was a linux/windows distro that was being made called Lindows©

yes, but every who's beta-tested lindows (they had to pay $100 to do it!) has said it's a good idea but needs A LOT of work.

As for your firewalls I'd go with ZA Pro, but thats just me. Everyone has their own needs, but I like the way that you know exactly whats going in and out and what programs are doing it. I'm sure its possible with the others but ZA Pro makes everything alot simpler. You can take the spyware out of kazaa easily, just check on google. I did it but i don't remember the specific file names, registry entries, etc...

OK, I'm (sorta) new @ this security stuff, but I can tell you at least this one reason why explorer.exe has tried to use the internet on my machine:
    If you save a URL as a shortcut and then single-click on it in windows explorer, the little preview window will try to show you a miniature view of the web page on the left-hand side (pass the dutchie)
    This is explorer.exe outbound tcp on port 80 (http). Not exactly what you'd call mission-critical
    Explorer will also use ftp resources, but I would reccomend using a third-party ftp client instead of explorer.

yeah, i'd definitely look into downloading ad-aware. also look at webwasher:
    http://www.webwasher.com/
    -Hadoob024-

www.kazaalite.com found it the no spyware no ad kazaa thanks much pyro

As a rule of thumb, I play it paranoid. I deny all traffic unless otherwise specified. I must admit that I don't know anything about XP really, though if you can firewall out the applications access and have no adverse affects, then I would.

As for the gaming commentaries, most of your games can be played on a *nix machine these days, all in the wonder and glory of WineX available at transgaming.com. Seems that DirectX 8 is now available to *nix users.

Regards.
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"