Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Firewall Question

Talking Newbie Firewall Question

Im a noobie just starting research on security and encyrption, both have interested me for awhile, and now just got a break in work to where I can start to "do my homework" on the two subjects. Im testing 3 firewalls to see which I like the best, ZA pro, sygate, and nortons 2002, testing and seeing which suits my needs just starting out. The question I have is on a few programs from win xp that want to gain access. Application Layer gateway: NT Kernal and system: lsa shell export service: and explorer exe also generic host process. I have allowed and blocked all of those programs and it doesnt seem to matter either way to any programs they all work fine. The question I have is any or all of them spyware for MS and I should def block or those are just the XP proggys for checking for upgrades etc. any help is appr8ted.

Ferret

"Weke Weke"

str34m3r
    I'm afraid I don't know as much about XP as I'd like, so I probably can't help you with your problem. I just wanted to stop and tell you that it's nice to see a newbie on the site who:

a) admits that they're a newbie
    b) did some research first
    c) asked an intellegent and well thought out question

We've had so many of the script kiddies recently, that your post was refreshing. Welcome to AO and I hope that someone else will be able to help you so that you'll stay around.

The question I have is on a few programs from win xp that want to gain access. Application Layer gateway: NT Kernal and system: lsa shell export service: and explorer exe also generic host process.
    I am not all that proficient on XP, but if you are concerned of the nature of the program or service running, and want to find out if you want allow or deny its access to the Internet, try these little programs that will make your life a little easier:

Xploiter/Tambu Security

Good Luck and welcome!!

Be paranoid, XP does phone home.
    America - Land of the free, home of the brave.

Antionline Herpetologist
    This may sound paranoid but I'd deny access to anything that I wasn't sure about.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

I say block every thing that doesn’t need internet access. Ask your self questions like why does winamp want to access the internet? Also helps to get adaware (http://www.lavasoftusa.com/) it will find spy ware that your fire wall misses.

O ya never let windows media player access the internet under any circumstances. S P Y W A R E
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

never can trust those bas**rds can you. aparantly XP is the first step in an internet based anti piracy checking system. but for the time being someone should start on a linux distributuion which can handle games as well as windows and then bill gates will have right up his

but for the time being someone should start on a linux distributuion which can handle games
    I agree with you on the need for more commercial apps and games to appear on *NIX systems. I am seeing more and more fairly sophisticated games appear on *NIX, but at the time being, I do not think it is ready for the hardcore gaming industry yet.

Banned
    whackaxe> We've had a discussion about how games working/moving to linux would not impaire the windows sells and distribution. See Here

It's good to have something blocking net access to apps, like what three people above said. cwk9 points out one of the most important points of it, spyware. There's nothing worse then having all your info leak out to corporates like microsoft and others. Also, it's good to monitor things like cookies and so, which also leak out certain things like preferences... especially used for pop-up advertising (doubleclick.com ring a bell?)

The upgrade program has an odd name like msupdate.... not something familiar like explorer..

best bet, to know if you are blocking the update program, block everything and try to update, a pop-up should appear from ZA and the other apps, asking for access. If not, then unblock on thing at a time until something connects for the update. If the update works, and you blocked all those apps you named, keep em' blocked...

str34m3r
    What kills me is that a lot of games are actually written in linux and then ported to Windows. They just never release them in linux because it's not generally profitable for them. There's one that makes games for linux though - Loki games. Visit them at:
    www.lokigames.com

Edit: ACK!!! I just went to check and make sure they were still there and they've closed their doors.