Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winblows box SCREWED

Winblows box SCREWED

Hey Guys.
    as you may know my Mom's box has been giving me problems with Illegal Operation errors and all kinds of IE craziness (you enter a URL and hit Enter and NOTHING happens). Before I didthe UNIX i tried everything SFC, the IE repair tool Etc. Reinstalled Windows due to not having time to do the UNIX and Mom needing box and guess what? SAME PROBLEMS AFTER FRESH INSTALL. I'm ready to pull my hair out.

What is the problem you are experiencing, in full?

Is it only - You enter a URL and hit enter and nothing comes up?

Ick. Did the normal scan for viruses and such? (boot sector virus, perhaps - though that problem doesn't strike any particular chord at the moment) After you do the install, are you able to run windows update or anything?
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

Originally posted here by draziw
    Ick. Did the normal scan for viruses and such? (boot sector virus, perhaps - though that problem doesn't strike any particular chord at the moment) After you do the install, are you able to run windows update or anything?
    Windows update works fine, I scan all my winblows stuff every WEEK with updated defs so I don't get this one. And in 10 years of Winblows experience I've seen alot and this one gets me. but sometmies if you type in a URL and hit Enter it just sits there It's Winblows 98 BTW

AntiOnline Newbie
    Are you using a dial up or broadband? (modem or NIC)

At this point I would start to suspect a hardware problem...

Edit - have you tried to navigate your computer using IE? Try File|Open|Browse to a file or folder and see if IE still locks up or whatever. May help define whether it is actually a SW or HW problem...

check all your fans. Power supply, proccesser, and case. It might be that you are just overheating. If you have diagnostics in the CMOS check and see if any are out of normal ranges, (IE temperatures, fan speed, voltages, etc,etc)
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

AntiOnline Newbie
    And when you say fresh install - do you mean "clean" - as in reformat, etc? Because in your post you said you "reinstalled" - if you installed over a corrupted install, you'll get the same problems 95% of the time. If you reformatted and installed clean - I'd say you've got a connectivity issue and I'd lean towards hardware at that point.

Update.
    It's fine right now, so whtever causes it is something Intermittent. This is a suckpaq which means I have ZIP for diagnostic tools of any kind in te BIOS for temp. etc. the Box uses an NIC to get on (I have a 4 box LAN in my house)

It was a format and reinstall too

Hmmm... mine does that, too. Normally seems to be a weird DNS timeout issue... or, in the case of Yahoo, waiting on those stupid slow-ass ad server popups. Guess that's one of the reasons that I try not to use my Winblowz machines for browsing, etc.
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"