Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bump Button - implicit post?

Bump Button - implicit post?

Ok, with all the old threads mysteriously hitting the front page over the last few days or so, perhaps it'd be nice if the "bump" button would sign the person doing it... kind of like the "edi post" screen. Basically allow a person to enter a short "why I bumped this thread" reason and add it to the string of posts. At least perhaps this would discourage people from shamelessly (and anonymously) bumping threads up to the front page that don't really have any reason to be there.
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

str34m3r
    Well, I've been one of the people who bumped up two of my own posts this week because I never got any answers (or any responses at all) the first time. I was hoping that by bumping it up, someone else would see it who hadn't seen it before and maybe I could get an answer. It worked for one, but didn't work for the other. I certainly wouldn't have objected to putting my reason there along with the bump. It just made more sense to bump it rather than add a reply to my own question.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    str34m3r> Someone bumped my roll call thread earlier today... thats the type of thing we are talking about.

draziw> good idea, but it shouldn't count as a post. Maybe have a 50 char max, and put their name with it.....
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

You're right souleman - it shouldn't count as a post, but maybe just a blurb in there intertwined with the posts:

Code:
    bumped by: xxxxxx - why: text they entered as a reason
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

AntiOnline Newbie
    But even if a worthles thread is bumped, as long as nobody replies to to it, it will eventually filter to the bottom... like the filth it is... But - I do see where you're coming from.

Yeah, maybe Just a little single-line between posts... Sound good, I suppose.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

hmmmmmmm......good idea, then that one thread I made about micr0s0ft, which my friend did while i wasn't in the room, would have disappeared quickly and not got me flamed so much (some moron bumped it back up so i would get more negative antipoints).........i support your idea

I think it'd be better if members had limits on how many times you could bump up a particular thread, or how many threads you could bump up within 24 hours. That way you keep some degree of anonyminity whilst still controlling bump ups to an extent. Perhaps even if you required say 50 posts before you could bump up threads, or a similar restriction?

If we do have a reason given, only make it a short one-liner, and it would be replaced once someone else replied to the post or it was bumped up by someone else (e.g. if I bump up a thread, the reason appears in it, but when another member replies, the reason disappears).
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

some good ideas here... i love the idea of only being able to bump a thread a finite amout of times..and a signature would also be very cool...even if it just listed below like thread subscribers.
    "bumped by:" i dont know just an idea

I think it a good idea for a couple reasons I've spotted a few threads here in the morning then not had time to read them to go to work and by the time I get back I've forgotten the original thread subject and see a bunch of really to do with nothing stuff. More then one of my threads have just gone away rather fast mostly because of the hours I post them I think. Never bumped any up just thought ok no one is interisted in the thread. Bumping up is good I think if it is for a revalant thread like security/ network questions not a bump up for something like what say sexuality, or what is a dat file type things.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg