Help with CD-RW drive

Thread: Help with CD-RW drive

Lightbulb Help with CD-RW drive

Hello, I just got a 32x10x40 cd-rw drive. It's installed correctly, computer recognizes it. However whenever I try to burn stuff onto the drive, it won't let me. I just got new blank cds for it. 4x 700mb discs. I run a full format and the program gives me crap about bad sectors and stuff. I can't format any of my discs. I've tried different ones. Please help. Thx

Banned
    What program are you using to do all this?

What OS and software are you using? If you are using Windows, I suggest you use Easy CD Creator, it's what I use and I've had no problems using that software.

Banned
    I'm taking it that you are talking about rw-discs...
    The program will effect this, as well as how the program see's the drive
    (is the program running the drive as a cdr or cdrw?.. check to see)

If you purchased low-end discs, that could impaire it too...
    Some "generic" brands don't work with all brands of drives...

Could be you also have a bad batch of discs....

If you are using Adaptec, it's a program that has difficulty reading disks that are not 650mbs...

You may need an ASPI drivers update as well. If you use Adaptec and Easy CD Creator you will need this. It's for SCSI, but for some odd reason the above progies need the drivers to operate even on IDE. Also for CDR's you don't need to format. Also for CDR's and CDRW's I would recomend aHead's Nero Burning ROM for all your CD needs.

For info go here:

http://www.ncf.carleton.ca/~aa571/aspi.htm
    http://ftp.korus.ru/Drivers/Storage/...c/ASPI/update/

The best page that deals all the way up to XP:

http://www.softlandmark.com/UpdatePatch.htm
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

just like Apocalypse said.. I had problems with my first RW drive because of the need for the
    adaptec scsi drivers (on an ide drive) and ditto.. i believe nero is better. also, some drives
    needed their bios updated to handle cd's larger than 650mb.. but you shouldn't need to
    format your cd-rw's before you use them either.

apart from the above questions.. tell us how you set the drive up ( i.e the ide cable setup)

thanks for those links Apocalypse.. i'm sure they'll come in handy for me in the future

str34m3r
    Your handy dandy new 32x writer will destroy those handy dandy new 4x CD's. The CD burner wil make the CD so hot that it will melt parts of the disk because the disk isn't rated for that speed. The CD may not be visibly melted, but it could easily cause bad sectors because sections of CD are melted together.

Originally posted here by str34m3r
    Your handy dandy new 32x writer will destroy those handy dandy new 4x CD's. The CD burner wil make the CD so hot that it will melt parts of the disk because the disk isn't rated for that speed. The CD may not be visibly melted, but it could easily cause bad sectors because sections of CD are melted together.
    Nero overcomes this limitation though. With the Nero tools package that comes with it. In the tools it has Nero Drive Speed, you can limit the drive spinup and in Nero itself you can limit the burn speed. So set your burn speed back to whatever the disk is rated at. Also if you are copying disk to disk or even burning from the HDD, turn on the pre-catch in Nero. It will make a slow speed temporary image of the track(s) you want to burn to the HDD and then burn them to disk. That way you get almost a perfect burn every time.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

Banned
    like str34m3r said: buy disks with higher burn compatibilities. I've got a 24x cdrw, and it will ruin any disks that can't burn @ at least 16x. problem is, cdrws generally have a lot slower burn speeds than cdr's. You might want to go with cd-r's, because if your files aren't too big, you can keep burning to the disc over and over again........so you'll save a bit & solve your problems.

Hope I helped.