Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Colleges for Computer Science

If you don't want to move that far away from home, then I'd highly recommend Carnegie Mellon, it is an excellent Computer Science school, and if you do well there you'll be all set for advanced degrees from MIT or CalTech, assuming that is what you want out of life.

Regards,
    Wizeman
    \"It\'s only arrogrance if you can\'t back it up, otherwise it is confidence.\" - Me

MsMittens: I'm looking into pure programming.
    Search First Ask Second. www.google.com

You don't know how much I needed this thread to be started, but just never got around to doing it (or forgot when I did have time, hehe). Thanks to ArmyOfOne for starting this thread, and to all of you for replying and helping him out. I really needed some of this information, cuz I've only got two more years 'til college starts.

My school- East Stroudsburg Univeristy in East Stroudsburg, PA - is just starting up a Computer Security undergrad program. I'm currently Comp Sci, but I am definitly going to add that on as a double major.

From the program outline (required classes): the first two years are identical to Comp Sci and then it branches apart into the security field. I was just going to change to Comp Security, but then realizing how close they were decided to pull a double major.

East Stroudsburg Univeristy

I was looking at their courses for Comp Sci, it doesn't seem like there area many programming and computer related courses... What's it like there? I just mean I've seen Colleges like Cornell offer Java, multiple networking classes, Unix, things of that sort...

Originally posted here by Wickdgin
    My school- East Stroudsburg Univeristy in East Stroudsburg, PA - is just starting up a Computer Security undergrad program. I'm currently Comp Sci, but I am definitly going to add that on as a double major.

From the program outline (required classes): the first two years are identical to Comp Sci and then it branches apart into the security field. I was just going to change to Comp Security, but then realizing how close they were decided to pull a double major.

Banned
    MIT or Cal Tech, I think that both of those schools got rated by some kind of magazine or newspaper as the best Computer Science schools in the U.S.

one of the things that I noticed is that the larger named schools (mit, harvard, caltech, and even here at the university of michigan) focus more on the theoretical side of computer science as opposed to the straight hardcore programming which I think is what you mentioned that you were interested in. i can easily see that here, comparing the types of classes and assignments involved, with that of one of my friends who went to eastern michigan (which is much smaller and not as well known). all his assignments and classes are just straight programming. just a thought.
    -Hadoob024-

Antionline Quitter..Srsly
    has any1 heard good things about the tech departments of University of Florida(gators) or University of Central Florida?....i have a full scholarship to UCF and was wondering if any1 goes there for comp sci.
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" — G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"

Re: East Stroudsburg Univeristy

Originally posted here by ArmyOfOne
    I was looking at their courses for Comp Sci, it doesn't seem like there area many programming and computer related courses... What's it like there? I just mean I've seen Colleges like Cornell offer Java, multiple networking classes, Unix, things of that sort...
    It isn't the biggest school- so there isn't a huge variety of courses offering different programming languages. Though I think it is more importaint to master one, because I find that most of what you learn in one language would apply in another, the rest is mainly syntax.

However, I think they offer quite a few more courses than what is listed on the webpage- actually I know for a fact that there are because I've seen a few that I don't see on the web site. I'll take a look at my school stuff at home for u to see.

alright, thanks