Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Colleges for Computer Science

Well now that I am thinking better. 'Programming Languages'- which is a required course- goes through a whole array of different programming languages,the syntax/structure, the advantages/disadvanteges of each. I don't remeber all the languages they cover, but most major ones are covered and projects (programs) are assigned for each language.

Otherwise the list of specialized classes (focusing on only one language) are limited to:
    -C++ (which is taught in 'Intro to programming' and the basis for all my required classes so far)
    -Assembly (required)
    -Visual Basic
    -Fortran (Don't know why)
    -There is a database systems class which I imagine teaches the popular database languages

Most lower level classes seem to focus on C++, data structures and theory and stuff

I am getting this from the Fall 2001 - 2002 Undergrad Catalog- so there may be a few changes by now

ArmyOfOne: Georgia Tech has one of the best CS programs in the US, I would say almost any school with a Tech in the back of their name may be good. Also, any big name university I'm sure has some sort of good program available for CS nerds like yourself and me
    just another pale-faced teenager

Well you can try going here since we exactly dont know what your looking for in comp. sci.:
    http://www.computertrainingschools.com/?googletech

Theres a lot of stuff in that area, not mainly all security. For example, my sis programs in c++, but she doesn't handle security.

Heres another place where:
    http://aolsearch.aol.com/dirsearch.a...ical%20schools

mit all the way, im gonna try get in there

Antionline Quitter..Srsly
    well MIT is good but hard to get in....Georgia tech is a great CS college ...i heard that University Of Central Florida is great
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" — G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"

I went to Wilkes University (Not far from East Stroudsburg). All in all it's not a bad school. My friend's father teaches CS classes (he taught my first c class) there. Only problem is it's a private school...so unless you get a good scholarship you're looking in the $22,000 a year range.

Their higher up (Jr and Sr) tech lab is absolutely amazing...but you have to work your way up into that kind of stuff.

Again, it's pretty far from indiana. Carnegie Mellon is the best near-by, but it's still out in Pittsburgh, PA...probably not too far from AO HQ? It's also relatively tough to get into, so you'd better have your GPA and SAT's in line.

Originally posted here by jezter6
    I went to Wilkes University (Not far from East Stroudsburg).
    My best friend went there for his first semester, he transfered down here to ESU though because Wilkes messed something up with his tuition bills and he got fed up with them. But he still takes a trip up there for ROTC, it's about an hours drive.

-------------------------

I must agree though, if you are accepted to a school MIT or Carnagie Mellon and have the money I'd defently go there for what you are looking for.

It just worked out for me being that I live 5 minutes from ESU and the Computer Security program is great for me because that's what I want to go into.

Yeah, CMU (Carnegie Mellon University) is a very good school. I live in Pittsburgh right near the campus, and their are a number of computer related facilities associated with CMU..
    \"Desperation rears its ugly head. Give me the will to fight. Indecision makes the final call. Do you know what\'s right?\" -PROPAIN

how about taking an online courses it's practical rather than harvard, university of MICHIGAN stuff out there make up ur mind, u only got to pay i think a dollar- a dozen.

more power to u creep,
    netspy01

be practical take an online course in computer science to ease the job okey

its up to u to take the risk

netspy01

Why not go overseas? The american dollar is still quite strong against most currencies. (Even though it has started to weaken over the past weeks) There are plenty of american students here in South Africa. Just to let you know how cheap it is: A normal can of coke costs around R3.50, which is about $0.35. The large bottle (2 litre here, I think a gallon there) is R9.00, or $0.90.

The academic year begins at the beginning of the year (Feb) , as with all other institutions in the Southern Hemisphere.

We have some damn good Comp Sci courses. I myself am busy at University of Cape Town (www.uct.ac.za) but there are plenty of other Universities and tertiary instituitions.

(just in case of narrow mindedness, we don't live in mud huts and we wear shoes and speak english)