AMD Or Pentium
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMD Or Pentium

AMD Or Pentium

This has been a long debate with me. I have heard people saying that Pentiums are the fastest chip out but I have heard more people say that the Athlons are a lot faster but do get hot due to the very thin wiring and the electrons have a higher probability of hitting the side of the wire and generating this heat.

I was wondering what others thought.

I have an AMD Athlon (TB) 950MHz oc'ed to 1.1GHz. I've ran it for almost a year now and it still runs just fine. Nice and stable. Just from my use and building systems. Pentiums are good for workstations and servers. Athlons are better at playing games and handle graphics better. To each his own. It's all about personal choice. One note: My cousin has a machine similar in build to mine. Except he has a 1.3GHz pentium. My puter ran circles around his in everything except MS Office XP when I ran Windows. As well, now that I have ditched Office XP and Windows XP Pro for Linux (Mandrake) and Openoffice. My puter runs about 1/3 faster under Tux.

Just my $.02 worth.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

I'm using an Athlon 600 for 2 years. And there isn't any problem.
    AMD processors are powerfull and with lower prices than Intel's.

And there is no identification numbers in there...
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

I also have an Athlon 600 and its severed me well the last 2 1/2 years. The p4's and athlon xp's are both good chips, just pick one and dont look back.
    Its not software piracy. Im just making multiple off site backups.

I used to sell the buggers...kinda, I sold computers anyway for Gateway NOW THEY ARE BUSTED HAHAHAHA [not my *favourite* job in the world...] so I frequently had to answer this one; personally I would just agree with Apocalypse [although I am too rubbish to know yet how to 'quote'!] and say it is a matter of choice; he indicated the benefits of each perfectly! Sometimes obviously when upgrades come out one will be on the market faster than the other but that's no plus, they're usually fuXored anyway for efficiency of release. Nevertheless it manages to win people over...some people just *gotta* be top of the range...

XXX

All the current Pentium & Athlon chips generate a lot of heat. Any current motherboard will be checking for the CPU temperature & fan speed, and will shut down if something goes wrong (stops your CPU from being fried!). This is why overclocking is pretty safe on Athlon chips (Pentiums are usually less happy about this).
    Depends on what you mean by speed - what sort of benchmarks are you using?
    The core clock speed of the CPU is meaningless as far as I am concerned - I want to know how fast it runs my favourite applications!
    Intel/MS do have some sort of understanding, so you can expect MS software to run 'faster' on an Intel chip. However Athlon are more in touch with the games industry, and design their chips to provide special instructions to accelerate 3D performance, which is used by most 3D games.

Banned
    in my experience, and from reading reviews, the athlon xp outperforms the pentium on all the media, while the p4 is good for business and apps and cpu-intensive stuff like brute forcers. the really big difference is in price. The athlon xp's actual speeds aren't that impressive, but they outperform much 'faster' p4s (i think it's because athlon xps have a bigger L1/L2 cache). I'm currently running a 1.6 ghz p4, but if i could go back, i'd get an athlon xp: MUCH cheaper

hope that helps

Banned
    definitely. amd rocks.

AntiOnline Senior Member
    I personally like AMD chips better, but you really have to make sure they are well cooled, otherwise, you could be looking at a serious problem. I have a dual-cpu fan with the thermal gel, 2 case fans, and of course, the power supply fan. My AMD Slot A 900mhz has been running for about 2 months now with no probs whatsoever. Hope this helps!
    [shadow]uraloony, Founder of Loony Services[/shadow]
    Visit us at
    [gloworange]http://www.loonyservices.com/[/gloworange]