Lame Terminology Query...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lame Terminology Query...

Lame Terminology Query...

[glowpurple]'Script Kiddies??'[/glowpurple]

Sorry, I know this is a really dumbass question to be asking, but I keep seeing this phrase used in chatrooms and online, but what *exactly* are Script Kiddies? And Ennis, I did read your FAQ so I get a basic idea, and I imagine that my tag probably indicates I am one, though that's more of a personal joke, but what makes a Script Kiddie different from a Newbie in your terms? Can you please explain precisely what constitutes a Script Kiddie?? Thanks!

XXX

Flash M0nkey
    skript kiddie (a.k.a SK, Kiddiot)
    some peps view them as the lowest form of 'hackers'....but they aren't even hackers at all - IMHO
    they point and click hack....using programs written by other people
    the most commonly used program by SK's is sub7 by Mobman.......u have prolly heard of it!? Its a remote access prog or trojan......thats the sorta thing they use!
    SK's dont have a thirst for knowledge but hack to impress their friends and show of how l337 they are
    Oh and and the use of l337 5[]D34|< is another sign of a Kiddiot.

hope that makes some sense?

v_Ln

Flash M0nkey
    another definition taken from here

script kiddies pl.n.

1. [very common] The lowest form of cracker; script kiddies do mischief with scripts and programs written by others, often without understanding the exploit they are using. Used of people with limited technical expertise using easy-to-operate, pre-configured, and/or automated tools to conduct disruptive activities against networked systems. Since most of these tools are fairly well-known by the security community, the adverse impact of such actions is usually minimal. 2. People who cannot program, but who create tacky HTML pages by copying JavaScript routines from other tacky HTML pages. More generally, a script kiddie writes (or more likely cuts and pastes) code without either having or desiring to have a mental model of what the code does; someone who thinks of code as magical incantations and asks only "what do I need to type to make this happen?"
    v_Ln

oh and a lil piece of advice should you ever find yourself looking for the definition of another word just go to google and type

wordyouwantdefinitionof site:www.tuxedo.org

changing the writing in bold to the term you need to know the meaning off......
    this works by asking google to only search for the term in the site tuxedo.org which has a huge jargon file

hope that helps.....

Naw, not a dumbass question. A script kiddie, is a person that just wants to be able to hack, by pressing a button to make them a hacker. They don't want to be able to learn how to hack, only to impress their friends. Script kiddies just download scripts (or programs, whatever is easiest) and use them, not knowing what exactly they do, or how they work, only that it will do something in order to attack a computer.

Now the difference between a Newbie, and a Script Kiddie, is great. And by asking this question, and reading the tutorials, you have already moved into the Newbie status.

Script Kiddies - People who just download stuff, and use it, not knowing how it works. More than likely to impress their friends. Don't want to work for the knowledge.

Newbies - These are people who are low on the scale of hacker intelligence, so to speak, but which is more than Ok, they're new! They show the thirst for more knowledge, and are comfortable working for it. The subjects they do know about, they know how it works, and the basic theories behind it. They show promise.

OH brilliant, thanks a lot!I assumed it was something along those lines but it's never good to work on assumptions when there are easy ways to get real facts! Now I feel marginally less ignorant I guess...

XXX
    The Owls Are Not What They Seem

Script kiddy (sometimes spelled kiddie) is a derogative term, originated by the more sophisticated crackers of computer security systems, for the more immature, but unfortunately often just as dangerous exploiter of security lapses on the Internet. The typical script kiddy uses existing and frequently well- known and easy-to-find techniques and programs or scripts to search for and exploit weaknesses in other computers on the Internet - often randomly and with little regard or perhaps even understanding of the potentially harmful consequences. Hackers view script kiddies with alarm and contempt since they do nothing to advance the "art" of hacking but sometimes unleashing the wrath of authority on the entire hacker community.
    While a hacker will take pride in the quality of an attack - leaving no trace of an intrusion, for example - a script kiddy may aim at quantity, seeing the number of attacks that can be mounted as a way to obtain attention and notoriety. Script kiddies are sometimes portrayed in media as bored, lonely teenagers seeking recognition from their peers.

It also describes a sort of mindset, they want to look 'cool' to their friends but don't want to make the effort required to learn about the larger picture. That, and generally sounding like a <15 year old who is putting on an act.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

lol@Terr! I know the kind of kids you mean, I love laughing at them! - I managed to get this kid who'd called himself Zero_Cool to actually start explaining to me today how to |-|4x0R tH3 GiBs0n!! Wait, is that Skiddiot or just plain deluded?

XXX
    The Owls Are Not What They Seem

Flash M0nkey
    zero_cool ......... hacking a gibson
    hmmmm next time ask him to introduce you to his friend acid burn lol
    someone's been watching a certain BS hacker movie too much

v_Ln

Valhallen wrote:

"hacking a gibson"
    Sounds strange.
    I come from the Land of Gibsons.
    Do experts in hacking Gibsons hang out in Tootsie's Orchid Lounge - now that The Crosswinds has closed?