4 13.79%
  • programmer

9 31.03%
  • systems administrator

16 55.17%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oppinion needed!

Question Oppinion needed!

I just created a new site. I've been working on it for about 60 days and i finnally put it up.

SickDwarf.com

Please tell me what you think about it so i can improve it. Thanx guys.
    Bleh.

I am browsing your site right now, and it seems OK. IMHO, there are some things that can be improved:

* There is no need for an entrance page.
    * The headings on every page overlap content as you scroll down which can be distracting.
    * The purpose is not clear until you dig around a bit.
    * Navigation is not really friendly.

Here is what I liked:

* The graphics are very nice, and gives a sense of warmth.
    * It has a very personal touch, and this can be refreshing from your everyday commercial site.
    * The domain "sickdwarf.com" is a pretty clever idea.
    * Has a sense of community.

Keep up the good work, and I will visit again

Ok, thanks man!
    btw, the entrance page is there for a future Flash Intro.
    Do you got any suggestions on how to improve the navigation?
    Bleh.

Links at the bottom of the page where your copyright is located would suffice. Or, if you wanna get clever, add a frame (or whatever else) on the right side and add a navigation menu of somekind.

Navigations have changed a lot in the last year or two, and seems to follow trends with everybody following. Remember when the image rollovers were big and took forever to load and you would not see the effect until you let the mouse hang over the link a while? Now, it seems the CSS-based text links and the drop-down JS/CSS code seems to be gaining popularity (such as the microsoft.com navigation which is very neat-o by the way). Also, the database driven sites are very popular, such as this one, which has the capability of the user controlling what should or should not be there which is clever. Whatever the case, ease is the bottom line.

As for the entrance, I see now. Flash is very difficult to use, and I have trouble with animations. Do you know of any place I can go to learn how to make those animated cartoons? I heard you need Illustrator or Freehand for that.

Ok thanx.

As for the entrance, I see now. Flash is very difficult to use, and I have trouble with animations. Do you know of any place I can go to learn how to make those animated cartoons? I heard you need Illustrator or Freehand for that.
    Noooooo, man. Go to http://www.flashkit.com/ it's full of tutorials about Flash. And the software you need for Flash is..... Flash.
    You can find a trial version here >>> http://www.flash.com
    Bleh.

Hey great site, one good use of flash, lol see it's also a bit about art. Being an artist myself look forward to seeing what your users submit. Who know's maybe one of my own digital works. Anyway impressed by what you did in such short time the flash skills, keep up the good work. Seeing how good sites are hard to find now days booked marked it
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

Damn. Thanx man. I didn't know it was THAT good.
    Bleh.

pretty god site, great artwork ! look forward to upcoming increase in content ! excelent use of flash which loaded very quickly which is always a bonus !

I shall keep revisiting to check updates !
    Our destiny is to endure all hardships that we encounter along the path to what we perceive to be true and worthwhile !

The Head foundation
    Please give generously

The only thing I'd suggest besides navigation improvement is getting rid of the entrance page. To be perfectly honest with you, almost always when I go to a website from a link, if they have an entrance page I will immediately close it out and not even give the site a chance. It just annoys me because I didn't click the link to see neat-looking graphics and show-off Flash, I clicked it to get information on the subject that I was seeking information for. Also, I would not use Flash on the rest of the site either usually, but you've have done a marvelous job on the design of it (even though it's using Flashkit.com, hehe) and a good job at making it not take too long to load on a slower connection, so you're fine in that category.

Also, it says in small text that the point of the site is for your giving out of links, correct? I think you should make that just a little bit more evident, because I was totally confused on what you had to give the public until I read all of the words on the main page.

Thta's all of the negative, I think you've got a lot of potential with this site, and I give you a good luck wish for your future development of it.

Noooooo, man. Go to http://www.flashkit.com/ it's full of tutorials about Flash. And the software you need for Flash is..... Flash.
    I have flash 4 (soon upgrading to MX when I get enough cash for an upgrade license), but always had trouble making animations. Thanks a lot for the link, I really appreciate it. I am kinda glad I do not need Freehand or the like to add functionality... hehe