Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: windows filing system

Some file system related links.
    http://www.mega-tokyo.com/os/os-faq-fs.html
    http://www.waterwheel.com/Guides/har...ile_sytems.htm

Don’t forget about vfat and fat12
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

vfat and fat12? i take it those are really outdated (fat12 at least)

There extremely out dated I was j/k
    As far as the best filing system I would put them in this order
    1. EXT2
    2. ntfs <= a close second
    3. Fat32
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

hmmmm, yes. I have a buddy w/ a machine that has a 1.1 ghz duron, 384 ram, 20 gb 5400 rpm hdd, and another machine w/ duron 750 mhz, 92 mb ram, 20 gb 5400 rpm hdd. The first one has win98, the second win2k (which runs ntfs, if i am not decieved). The win2k machine far outperforms the second in all the file-related tasks: opening folders, running small progs off the hdd, even the os booting up (of course, the boot is probly cuz it's a more advanced operating system, you might say, but remember the gap in stats). Needless to say, win2k is going on his win98 system next weekend!

if you want to get really archaic then there was also a fat8 which was used on the old tapes i believe on mainframes and minis although i dont know to much about this ! basically if u r using a ms os then go for fat32 or ntfs (if it is nt based etc) or if *nix then ext2 which is great ! i wonder how many people out there are still using fat16 unaware that they have lost or are losing loads of storage space ?
    Also interestingly there is the directory entries issue as well where if you name a file with a long filename regardless of the size of your partition if you save that file in the root then you wont be able to store anything else

example

?????????.txt where ??????? is equal to 255 characters ! the fat system takes up a directory entry for each 13 characters + one and in fat there is only 512 dir entries therefore if you give a file a long name and save it in your root and that file is only a k in size and you have a gb of free space it means nish as you cant save anything else ! this is also true for floppy disks where i think there is 200 and somit dir entries ( not sure)

Strange stuff man !
    Our destiny is to endure all hardships that we encounter along the path to what we perceive to be true and worthwhile !

The Head foundation
    Please give generously