Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One for all students

One for all students

You guys will love this one. Everyone always complains about how computer illiterate the teachers are in school today. Well you have people that do agree with this.

From CNN: http://fyi.cnn.com/2002/fyi/teachers....ap/index.html

In part from the site:

WASHINGTON (AP) -- In suburban Kansas City, students teach their teachers a thing or two about technology.

"They teach them the basics, gently suggesting: 'Here's why you're getting that blinking light, you might try this,'" says Bob Moore, executive director of information technology services for the Blue Valley, Kansas, school district.

It's a role reversal increasingly seen in schools across the country, according to a survey released this week by the National School Boards Foundation. The study of 811 school districts showed that 54 percent of respondents rely on students to provide technical assistance for computer systems.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

True that. My college teachers are morons and then you even have to show them how to set up a printer. I mean common if kids pay all this money to learn things that we already know, but the teacher doesn't. What kind of education are we really paying for.

You are paying for a piece of paper, which will then get you a job. If you did not buy that piece of paper, you would save your money, but then you would have a harder time getting a job. Effed up isn't it?
    savIRC :: The Multi-Platform IRC Client v. 1.8 [Released 9.04.02]

That is why I am fed up with puter school in my area. Heh, I thought it was just my own town.

you have computer's in your schools!!!! oO

heh just messin but our school was awful >_<;
    one computer lab which was highly gaurded - you never got near it!!!
    but i still managed to get myself banned

v_Ln

What gets me is how they've become tools of industry. The AP Computer Science test has gone from Pascal (which was a good choice in it's time) to C++ to Java. No one in their right mind would try to teach beginners using C++ or Java. Microsoft and Sun seem to think (C++/Java/C#)ish languages are the next big thing, and we're all supposed to fall in line and believe that.

If the AP test was really about teaching, instead of looking good, they would have chosen Scheme or maybe Python.

There is one technology person at our middle school (now I'm in high-school and I think it's the same way)... He has a total of about 50 kids working for him throughout the days, that have him for one or two periods, helping with computers, and other electronics like SmartBoards, etc.... Pretty sad though, because we're the most technologically advanced school in our city, yet don't have the staff to maintain it...
    Search First Ask Second. www.google.com

I thought something was a bit suspicious when my class was were given the maintainence of the school network as a year long assignment back in Computing studies...

Makes you wonder.

Antionline Quitter..Srsly
    You are paying for a piece of paper, which will then get you a job. If you did not buy that piece of paper, you would save your money, but then you would have a harder time getting a job. Effed up isn't it? - gstudios

yes i know...tis the truth u pay for a paper to help ya get a job...lots of ppl tell me that papers do jack...i tell them they are full fo it cuz when u have that little damn paper a job ism uch easier to find.......as for schools...hmm we students on average know more than the tech's but some of them actually know some stuff :-P so as i see it they need help with something i will help....i mean wot type of techie would i be if i didnt help get things done :P shoot i need the T1 up
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" — G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"

Originally posted here by matnick
    What gets me is how they've become tools of industry. The AP Computer Science test has gone from Pascal (which was a good choice in it's time) to C++ to Java. No one in their right mind would try to teach beginners using C++ or Java. Microsoft and Sun seem to think (C++/Java/C#)ish languages are the next big thing, and we're all supposed to fall in line and believe that.

If the AP test was really about teaching, instead of looking good, they would have chosen Scheme or maybe Python.
    I don't know on what you base yourself but IMHO you are mistaken...
    I mean, it's not as if C++ had not proven itself yet! Most applications writen today are written in C++. Java might be a little younger but it's already backed pretty strongly and is used in many web based systems (like online banking...). C# has still to make it's place but it's probably inevitable.

I've read some of your other posts and you keep talking about schema and 'no syntax'. Well if you learn without syntax, it will be a hard fall when you come back to earth since 95% of programming languages have strong syntaxex (which are all pretty similar).

Anyways, to me it's like your trying to tell us that the planets do indeed rotate around earth...

Ammo

PS: Sorry for the slightly OT post...