Thread: Diagnostic Question

Diagnostic Question

This may sound like a dumb question, but I have just inherited a computer room with 4 HP Servers and 20 NT servers. Is there a program or multi[ple that will go throug each machine via the network and tell me: What applications are running on them, what patch levels, what OS's, what ports are open and who's logged into them?

I need to get all this info ASAP because I need to decide what our new hardware is going to be. Any tips I would appreciate...

Thanks
    Luck--TSM
    Atlanta, GA

Not unless you install the program on all of them first... It would probably be easier to go one-by-one and check them than to set up some centralized sstem for all of that...
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Thanks for the info...

I ended up doing it by hand. Next we're going to utilize openview.
    Luck--TSM
    Atlanta, GA

although Black Ice firewalls aren't GREAT, the new ones are a bit better, and you can set it up so that if all the servers are networked (I'm assuming they are), then you can use one server as an ICEcap server, and install BlackICE/ICEpick on all the others, they can be controlled by the ICEcap server and will report all intrusions to the ICEcap.......I think the newer NetworkICE firewalls let you block intrusions, not just monitor....

hope that helps

Gravity Storm's Service Pack Manager will be able to tell you what patch levels the machines OS and M$ apps are running on. The NT resource kit has tools to allow you to see who is using what on each server remotely

Gravity Storm's Service Pack Manager evaluation copy can be found here:

http://www.securitybastion.com/

PC

The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his!

The Iceman Cometh
    Another program, like Service Pack Manager is St. Bernard UpdateExpert (www.updateexpert.com). I utilize that over my network and, as with the other program, it tells you patch levels of the Windows installations as well as other Microsoft products (such as office, IIS, SQL, IE, etc.).

AJ

Originally posted here by lucktsm
    Thanks for the info...

I ended up doing it by hand. Next we're going to utilize openview.
    If you had the resource toolkit installed that would have been an easy way to get all of that info. Utilitizing either telnet or RCMD you can connect to each machine and get a dos prompt. Then use 'tlist' to display all of the running processes, 'sclist' will give you service information. You can also use 'winmsd' to get just about everything off of the machine that you want from a configuration standpoint.

If you want to maintain multiple machines with ease you have to learn how to write batch files, and you have to be using the server toolkit.