Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Not-So accidental death of a newbie

OOh, JP hates these "farewell" posts. mairu, expect to be banned!

Just to get my 2 cents in before this thread closes - shouldn't be long now Jethro :

ah let's say all newbie members are not as lucky as ntsa
    You know it's funny - the more people I help and the more tutorials I write the luckier I seem to get. Up until last night I /was/ a n00b and, as I think I said in a recent post (of a fairly similar title), IMO this is probably the best community on the net today - but community is a two way thing. Don't expect to reap more than you contribute.

Remember that courtesey and politeness (both freely availible under a GNU style licence ) also go a long way here. Don't type using 1am37 speak, don't post to a forum until you have read it's FAQ twice and don't use unnececary profanity. Re-read everything you intend to post _at least_ three times.

And most important of all, however '1337' you consider yourself to be, remember to bring a little humility with you when you visit AO - there are some _/really/_ bright folks here.
    \"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.\"
    Sir Winston Churchill.

Reasons why n00bs and oldtimers get negs.

n00bs get them because:
    1. They post stupid how do I hack (insert AIM, Hotmail etc.. service here) threads.
    2. They come in and become posting whores, and post usless crap.
    3. Illegal crap like. I want to fu#% up my girlfriends puter because she (whatever).
    4. Constantly whine and bitc$# about antipoints or membership status.
    5. Ask stupid questions without attempting to do a little research first.

Old timers get them because:
    1. Someone has a ligitimate gripe with the post.
    2. Some n00b wanting to be an ass.
    3. Constructive critcism.

To sum it up. This is the real world. People don't always get along. This is a security site with a lot of proffesionals that know their stuff and newbies that want to learn. They don't want to go through a bunch of worthless posts about antipoints or goodbye whine posts. So get over it. Life is not fair. The more you complain the more you'll get grief. So get over it.

Ways to get along:
    1. Post intelligently and think before you post.
    2. Be helpfull to all.
    3. Don't be a know it all.
    4. Don't whine or post useless threads.
    6. Treat people like you want to be treated.
    7. Contribute to the collective.

Most important though. READ THE FAQ. It will save for some problems in the forums.....

Thats my rant for the week.............Nuff said..............
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

p2p -

You'd get greens for that summary, but it turns out I have (unsurprisingly, when you think about it) already given you some today Oh well - the thought was there .
    \"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.\"
    Sir Winston Churchill.

ntsa i got the same dialogue for p2p , good job p2p, any way what r u talking about mairu , newsbies dont get flamedfor no reason im still a newbie i havent gotten flamed and even if u have why dont u think about what u did its not like u posted something GREAT and EVERYONE disapproved maybe u should stop posting worthless crap and get on with it

come on damn it they are just points its not the end of the world
    so quit actin liek a bitchand get a real life

Antionline Quitter..Srsly
    tru dat nice one p2p and ruffryder i agree we come here to learn but why post redundant data that has been discussed so many times it g0t tiresome. if u are going to post about something that has been discussed that much, expect negs. oh and jethro i guess it hasnt been closed :/
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" — G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"

Senior since the 3 dot era

Hacker

Originally posted here by geepod
    stop being anti hacer etc and learn what the term really means, we have the media for giving things a bad name without the security industry contributing as well !
    thankyou
    hmm... illegitimate generalizations...
    The issue about hacker / cracker etc... is / has been discussed many times here at AO.
    for instance this thread http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=133107
    or read the ultimate newbie faq by Ennis http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=218093

You see? Not every one has the same opinion at AO... and that's great!
    Mainly, I support the following opinion:
    (source: http://tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html#WHAT_IS)

What Is a Hacker?

The Jargon File contains a bunch of definitions of the term `hacker', most having to do with technical adeptness and a delight in solving problems and overcoming limits. If you want to know how to become a hacker, though, only two are really relevant.

There is a community, a shared culture, of expert programmers and networking wizards that traces its history back through decades to the first time-sharing minicomputers and the earliest ARPAnet experiments. The members of this culture originated the term `hacker'. Hackers built the Internet. Hackers made the Unix operating system what it is today. Hackers run Usenet. Hackers make the World Wide Web work. If you are part of this culture, if you have contributed to it and other people in it know who you are and call you a hacker, you're a hacker.

The hacker mind-set is not confined to this software-hacker culture. There are people who apply the hacker attitude to other things, like electronics or music -- actually, you can find it at the highest levels of any science or art. Software hackers recognize these kindred spirits elsewhere and may call them "hackers" too -- and some claim that the hacker nature is really independent of the particular medium the hacker works in. But in the rest of this document we will focus on the skills and attitudes of software hackers, and the traditions of the shared culture that originated the term `hacker'.

There is another group of people who loudly call themselves hackers, but aren't. These are people (mainly adolescent males) who get a kick out of breaking into computers and phreaking the phone system. Real hackers call these people `crackers' and want nothing to do with them. Real hackers mostly think crackers are lazy, irresponsible, and not very bright, and object that being able to break security doesn't make you a hacker any more than being able to hotwire cars makes you an automotive engineer. Unfortunately, many journalists and writers have been fooled into using the word `hacker' to describe crackers; this irritates real hackers no end.

The basic difference is this: hackers build things, crackers break them.

The definition of being reasonable is to accept that opinions can differ even after a debate between (reasonable) people.

i think..
    nothing.. look at yourself.. we should all stay togheter.. not fight eachother...
    were not a so big community and if you look how fast the worlds change (today 7 warezsite closed.. stuff like that i mean) we sould really stay together..

cheers angus from switzerland..

Antionline Quitter..Srsly
    hmm ur first post.....sorry to tell ya but we are one if not the biggest online security communities....so that is all ...
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" — G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"

Banned
    *yawn*