Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux

Linux

Hey I have a few questions about Linux, hope u dont mind me asking

1 - Whats the GUI like? Is it similar to the WIMP enviroment of windoze?
    2 - Why is Linux better than windoze?
    3 - What is the security like?
    4 - Will all programs run on Linux?

Thanx

1] The GUI can be like whatever you want
    There are assorted Window managers, which customise the way it looks, anc you can change anything you want - to look how you want. It is 100% customisable.

2] Linux is better than windows for many reasons, security, speed, reliability, support for more applications, free software, Linux itself is free so you can install it on every PC in the world at only the cost of the CV you install from.

3] Linux security is infinitely better than Windows, although security always depends on the user, not just the OS

4] Not all software runs on Linux, MS Office, for example, doesn't run natively on Linux, although there are ways around this in the form of emulators (e.g. Wine) or virtual machines (e.g. VMWare).
    Linux does, however, have an enormous software base, and most of it is free.
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net

Im still not sure wether to switch to linux.

Whats about games will they run on Linux? Also any other information would be grateful like what version of linux is the best etc.

Just wondering if possible can someone post a screenshot of linux?

Re: Linux

1 - Whats the GUI like? Is it similar to the WIMP enviroment of windoze?

Well, there's X Windows. That's pretty good, but I prefer to stay in the character cell (command prompt) mode.

2 - Why is Linux better than windoze?

More secure, open source, free, better mascot.

3 - What is the security like?

Excellent. There's no comparison between Linux and Windows. But, a lot of it depends on the superuser and the way (s)he administers his/her box.

4 - Will all programs run on Linux?

A lot of them will, but not all. Many were written specifically for Windows, because there's a bigger market, but a lot of your software should run on Linux.

Hmmm,
    Games tend to need Windows, for several reasons, including that they're usually based on DirectX, which is a proprietary Microsoft system.

For a newcomer to Linux, mandrake is best http://www.mandrake.com
    It will install itself, pretty much, you need to know very little about it. It will easily set up a dual-boot so you can run windows and linux on the same machine.

I wrote a tutorial ages ago about installing linux mandrake, its in the tutorials forum, search for it.
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net

Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

hmmm looks nice

I think I may try it with dual boot. How easy is it to remove just incase say I dont like it or find it hard to use or some other reason?

And how stable is it?

Antionline Quitter..Srsly
    o0o0o0o0 preacher come now girls in underwear? ....well personally i think gnome is nicer than kde...kde on the other had is a lot like WIMP....but if u are goin ot run games windows is hte ONLY option...unluckly that is true...i believe there is a linux version for certain games like tactical ops(originally a UT mod now it's own game), i heard that starcraft has a linux version...never seen it maybe only a rumor. u could just do as i do dual boot ...that way u can play games on windows then run everyhting else in linux(or atleast that is wot i ma trying to do but my winmodem still being a hoe about it)
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" — G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"

Hey just wondering... what is the deal with linux on a mac? Is it possible? If so, where can I find it, and what is the stability on a mac?
    Thx.

Originally posted here by blackdragon
    Hey just wondering... what is the deal with linux on a mac? Is it possible? If so, where can I find it, and what is the stability on a mac?
    Thx.
    Mandrake makes a PPC verson to run on Macs. www.mandrakelinux.com
    There is also MacOS X, which is a form of Unix. Can't tell you about the stability of that because I'm running Mandrake Linux on a PC. Ask RiOter about the stability. He runs MacOS X.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)