Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mandrake 8.2 problem

Question Mandrake 8.2 problem

hi to all ,
    plz help me solve this peculiar problem. yesterday i installed RH 7.2 on my system it recognized my modem(dial-up) just fine and got me connected to internet just fine
    but today i got mandrake linux 8.2 with my computer magzine but after installation i can make it recognize my modem even durinf installation it just picks up phone but hang-up before dialling.
    My modem have rockwell chipset , it is external and connected to com port 1, also i cann't find kppp package in my installation even if i installed everything except server softwares.
    any help 'll be highly appreciated . thanx

Antionline Quitter..Srsly
    hmmm weird i had a similar problem with linux corel...it recognized my winmodem it says i i have but it wont dial....bah oh well man if i where u i would just stick with red hate linux 7.2 i personally am looking for the cd of it....or mandrake 8.1. i hear 8.1 is nicer than 8.2
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" — G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"

Linux, any Linux does not really like WinModems because it is controlled by software instead of letting the hardware do the work. When I started with Mandrake 6.0, I had a WinModem in which I threw away and bought an ISA modem which ran with absolutely no problems. Now, I hear newer distros have WinModem support, but I do not know to what extent.

I have Mandrake 8.2 in which I am very pleased with. However, if RedHat is what works best with what you have, stick with what works. And Corel still makes a distro? Man, I gotta check that out...

nah now corel is making one called xandos i believe they use to make corel but discontinued it ...i happen to have it on CD the old(latest) version
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" — G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"

nah now corel is making one called xandos i believe they use to make corel but discontinued it
    I checked it out, and Xandos is offering Corel Linux on their FTP server. The Xandos distro is not finished developing yet, I guess we will just wait and see. Maybe they will have WinModem support, huh

lol they do...corel says i have a winmodem and that it likes it...but it just wont use it to dial :P...bah this stinks

Well, KPPP (From what I remember) has a timeout feature that you can set before it hangs up... maybe somebody knows this... I have a cable modem, so it's been a while

hehe maybe but i htink i messed with the kppp options

Without sounding like I am telling you to suck eggs ...... have you looked in the Mandrake Control Centre ..... "Network & Internet" section has everything there needed to set up an internet and/or network connections ...

The "Hardware" section might be worth looking at to, to make sure the modem has been detected properly .... I had to re-run this with a soundcard after I believed it had been detected properly during install.

Good luck.

Without sounding like I am telling you to suck eggs ...... have you looked in the Mandrake Control Centre ..... "Network & Internet" section has everything there needed to set up an internet and/or network connections ...
    I set everything up from the initial installation and never had a need to use the control panel to set Internet up. As for the sucking eggs part, if I am telling somebody something wrong, or I do sound like and idiot, then by all means tell me to. I am not an expert in everything.