Another protection against Windows XP illegal copies ?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another protection against Windows XP illegal copies ?

Another protection against Windows XP illegal copies ?

I heard that Microsoft is setting up a database that would include every illegal user's IP. They would also diffuse small programs so that illegal copies of winXP would stop working after upgrading windows...

Does anyone knows about that ?
    [blur]On a toujours besoin d\'un plus petit que soi. [/blur]
    French diction

Well, if it just has their IP that'd be totally pointless because most users online have dynamic IPs, meaning it changes every time they get online because they dial into the internet using a regular modem. They could probably, however, get the some other number that's stored in the registry and ban that one from updating anymore, but I'm sure the number could easily be changed. I've heard of them doing something similar to this, but not the exact same thing you speak of. Not sure if they really are, but like I said, it'd be pointless.

well, that sux.....
    I'm all for OpenSource, especialy when it come's to MS< they'r software is Over priced, and the'v only done a half-assed job!
    - Noia
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag D landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjrleik elske med.

It is part of their service pack 1 release. It will fuX0r up the updates for you. You can read about it here:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/25629.html
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

Indeed, quite interesting... But I don't really think that it would stop warezed winXP. There seem to be so many ways to overcome this sort of protection...
    French diction

Originally posted here by sniper001
    Indeed, quite interesting... But I don't really think that it would stop warezed winXP. There seem to be so many ways to overcome this sort of protection...
    True. But, under MS's new service pack. It won't let you update it.

The problem I see here is. What about people that have legit copies they paid for but their registration number has been stolen. This will hurt large companies that have a multi seat license with a corperate registration number. They would have a mess with a couple of hundred machines unable to update the security or patches....
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

The beta of Service Pack 1 for Windows XP has now shipped to testers and, as previously advertised, it declines to install if you're using a leaked WinXP licence key. But - again as previously advertised - it doesn't deactivate your installation, just stops you applying the service pack.
    The problem I see here is. What about people that have legit copies they paid for but their registration number has been stolen. This will hurt large companies that have a multi seat license with a corperate registration number. They would have a mess with a couple of hundred machines unable to update the security or patches....
    I think this is targeting keys that were leaked during the beta testing and such... I believe a large number of them leaked, and they still worked.

I don't think it could really effect the companies with the multi-seat licenses, unless they are using one of the leaked keys, which in theory they shouldn't be, because no corporation should run a beta of any Windows OS, so they shouldn't have one of the beta keys...

Now, if you've installed a legitimate copy using a leaked key, there are work arounds, which I know you all can find........ I'd link to it, but I fear that it would just be abused...
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

Hummm... M$ gonna have problems soon...

Anyway, do you think it is possible to bypass this "protection", for example by douwnloading the XP SP1 from a win2000 based machine and then install it on your xp box ? Or by downloading the corporate version of the patch, so that it would not chech your xp ID ?
    French diction

Originally posted here by sniper001
    Hummm... M$ gonna have problems soon...

Anyway, do you think it is possible to bypass this "protection", for example by douwnloading the XP SP1 from a win2000 based machine and then install it on your xp box ? Or by downloading the corporate version of the patch, so that it would not chech your xp ID ?
    I think you can download the individual product updates, just not in the bundled service pack...

It'll end up being a lot of trouble to run leaked copies as the update site will block leaked copies, you'd have to download and install the individual updates for every machine you have...

Fear not however, if you have a legitimate copy, but are using a leaked key, there is still hope for you.... you can reactivate your copy of XP with a new key.... but shhhh, lets keep that a secret...
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

Hmm there is already a method for that SP1 thing.
    The truth is MS is going to lock down computers that has stolen keys. One thing they are sure of is most of the illegal copies use FCKGW-xxx-xxx something key. What MS is doing is the SP will lock the computer that uses that cd key.
    So all you have to do is to change the cd key. I dont think that it is right to post here how to change your cd key and get a original key for your mechine.
    here is a web page explaining how to break the new security for WinXP.
    http://www.windowsxp.nu
    (I hope I am not breaking any rules of AO by giving out this webpage)
    a.k.a. FiX{x}XeR
    Give me the strength to be what I was and forgive me for what I am.