Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Features For 06/09/2002

Banned

New Features For 06/09/2002

Greetings All:

A couple of new things to take notice of:

1. Each thread now gets an AntiPoint Rating based on assignments made to posts within that thread. This will manifest itself with the "The Overall AntiPoint Status Of This Thread Is" that appears at the top of each thread made AFTER this went into effect. Threads made before this feature was added will all be marked "even".

2. You are now required to attempt to "balance out" the antipoints that you dish out. Not too many negative assignments, not too many positive assignments. If the system detects that you're "not balanced", you'll receive a notice explaining things on the main site page.

Banned
    Awesome... I have a notice though about assigning too many positives!

Banned
    Kool JP!

str34m3r
    I understand the need to give negatives to discourage people from posting stupid things. But, there's a lot more good posts here than bad posts. So this new rule now means that if I tell someone they're doing a good job, I also have to tell someone else their post is crap to stay even. People are just going to start handing out negs left and right to make that warning go away. And a lot of people who don't deserve negs are going to get them anyway. And some of the people who started off with a bad post or two, but are now cleaning up their act are going to get blasted back into the negatives by people searching for something to give negs to. It will be a red storm around here for the next few days.

I agree with str34m3r...

I strongly disagree with this, I sign more positive antipoints, than negatives.... not like I can help it. I do assign negative antipoints to all lamers, but not people with opposing views. Now I have to randomly assign negatives, just to get the message to leave? Hmm...

PS: I agree the str34m3r.
    Search First Ask Second. www.google.com

Originally posted here by str34m3r
    I understand the need to give negatives to discourage people from posting stupid things. But, there's a lot more good posts here than bad posts. So this new rule now means that if I tell someone they're doing a good job, I also have to tell someone else their post is crap to stay even. People are just going to start handing out negs left and right to make that warning go away.
    I say, I have to agree. As of now. I hand out 76% pos and 24% neg which I feel is a good ballance for myself. As the good posts ounumber the bad posts. I don't want to slam people with negs just so I can be even and to make the message go away. It's just that a 50/50 ratio is very unrealistic. Ask yourself. Are half of the post you make crapy and deserve negs. Nope. So would'nt it be more fair to set it so that if your positives stay between the range of 65-85% you'll be OK. That seems for fair than me having to give out undeserved negs just to ditch the warning. Geeez, I thought I was a bad person for giving out 24% negatives.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

Well i am new to AO but so far have enjoyed my presence here. The only niggle I have is the Antipoints as i have already in my 3 day membership been warned that i might soon be banned just for things like using exclamation marks , i didnt quote a source and so it seemed cos i mentioned the word hacking ! I am not too bothered by this as i wil just learn to go with the flow and do what I have to do to remain a member but surely these new proposals will make things worse ?
    Is it not possible to just have moderators assign the points or just moderate and not have any points at all ?
    instead of chatting,learning etc i seem to have spent most of my time dealing with having low points already and having to go and assign points to toher posts just to get rid of messages on home page ?
    Our destiny is to endure all hardships that we encounter along the path to what we perceive to be true and worthwhile !

The Head foundation
    Please give generously

TechieChick
    Originally posted here by {P²P}Apocalypse

It's just that a 50/50 ratio is very unrealistic. Ask yourself. Are half of the post you make crapy and deserve negs. Nope. So would'nt it be more fair to set it so that if your positives stay between the range of 65-85% you'll be OK. That seems for fair than me having to give out undeserved negs just to ditch the warning. Geeez, I thought I was a bad person for giving out 24% negatives.
    Do we know for certain that it's 50/50? Maybe that's part of the "magic" that we've not seen yet.

If not..I'll agree completely, I just don't see enough negative posts to qualify for that many points.

Banned
    wow... TechieChick.... ur ratio is 93% pos and 7% neg!!! You got alot to dish out lol...