Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Features For 06/09/2002

AntiOnline Senior Member
    Originally posted here by str34m3r
    I understand the need to give negatives to discourage people from posting stupid things. But, there's a lot more good posts here than bad posts. So this new rule now means that if I tell someone they're doing a good job, I also have to tell someone else their post is crap to stay even. People are just going to start handing out negs left and right to make that warning go away. And a lot of people who don't deserve negs are going to get them anyway. And some of the people who started off with a bad post or two, but are now cleaning up their act are going to get blasted back into the negatives by people searching for something to give negs to. It will be a red storm around here for the next few days.
    I agree with this. I don't think a 50/50 ratio is a good ratio. Maybe a 80/20 or a 75/25, but a 50/50 is unrealistic IMO.
    [shadow]uraloony, Founder of Loony Services[/shadow]
    Visit us at
    [gloworange]http://www.loonyservices.com/[/gloworange]

Hmmm... well I agree with the rest o' ya... I tend to assign mostly greenies, though there have been a lot of kiddies here as of late and I've thrown a couple of reds at them, too. I think 50/50 is pretty unrealistic, both based on the way I read posts and what sort of things I just "ignore." That is, I will often look to see who started a thread before even thinking about reading it (and, you guessed it, I only tend to read things of people that I think have a tendancy to post worthwhile stuff - and that's doubly true when I don't have a lot of time to spend here).

But, what happens when you get an overly positive balance? So far I've not seen the notice... does it mean your positives start counting for less or something? Or is it just an annoying message?
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

TechieChick
    Originally posted here by draziw
    Hmmm... well I agree with the rest o' ya... I tend to assign mostly greenies, though there have been a lot of kiddies here as of late and I've thrown a couple of reds at them, too. I think 50/50 is pretty unrealistic, both based on the way I read posts and what sort of things I just "ignore." That is, I will often look to see who started a thread before even thinking about reading it (and, you guessed it, I only tend to read things of people that I think have a tendancy to post worthwhile stuff - and that's doubly true when I don't have a lot of time to spend here).

But, what happens when you get an overly positive balance? So far I've not seen the notice... does it mean your positives start counting for less or something? Or is it just an annoying message?
    Therin lies our answer boys and girls....Mr. Wizard is at 69% positive and doesn't have the balance message.

It's kind of like pixie dust at Disney...ya just have to believe.

JP.. when you have a moment, I do hope you'll explain things a bit more..

Like what draziw said.. are there any ramifications to being unbalanced beyond the notice ?

TechieChick
    If you're getting the notice it says this at the bottom...

If you ignore this message, and continue to be unbalanced in the way you assign AntiPoints, the system will reduce the impact that your assignments have on people.

yeah.. stupid me.. i should of just read the main page (and JP's last sentence in the post)
    still, if i want my points to mean anything to anyone else.. i'll have to hand out negs which
    for the above reasons stated makes me feel uncomfortable..
    here we are trying to build/maintain a community, not a police state where we all have to look over our shoulders...

oops. did i say that ?

lmfao, look at mine. I given out negs before, but I assign so many positives all the time and they count for so much more now than when I gave out the negs, that it says 100% positive. Jeez, I'm really gonna have to start getting on the lamers, I guess. I don't really like this new feature. ::shrug::

EDIT: Well, it was 100%. I gave out a neg, hehe.

i think it sucks. if i disagree with something someone says, i have to hurt them? i prefer to tell them what i think. lame **** heads are one thing but just giving neg points to keep a balance just aint right.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

With all due respect JP, the balance thing sucks...
    I'm fine with unbalanced in the negative, but too much positive??!
    Now we've got to like stinking cops and hand out negs because we have a quota to fill??
    Why not just stop giving APs all together??!

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

Antionline Herpetologist
    I think that the balance thing isn't really a good idea. As a responsible member, I'd only like to give out negs when a person posts something seriously wrong. However, I think that the balance thing could work if it's only implemented for people giving too many negs.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com