Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Features For 06/09/2002

yeah, it was good to know we could get rid of some butthead by assigning neg points but this... it will do nothing to develop respect between members and IMO will cause disharmony.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I agree with what most people are saying here. I don't think people should be compelled to hand out negatives for the sake of balance. Especially now with auto ban and everything.

Banned
    Greetings All:

Ok, I think people are missing the "Big Picture" stuff here.

First off, the system only starts to "bitch" when you're 70% in either direction. Either 70% positive or 70% negative. From viewing the site logs, that's about the way I think it should be, too.

Secondly, you don't become "balanced" by just giving out negative antipoints needlessly. You also become "balanced" by not giving out positive antipoints to stupid little 1 sentence posts just because the person's your friend and you want to kiss ass (which happens a LOT).

Also, as with all other things related to the AntiPoints system, things aren't just black and white. The system looks at how you're assigning points compared to others, and if things appear to be "balanced" in that respect, you won't see the message either.

First you saw the auto-ban user feature, then the "The Overall AntiPoint Status Of This Thread Is", which means that the "Auto Closing Stupid Threads" must be soon to follow...... In order to have that, the system needed some more checks and balances to be sure that the overall flow of AntiPoints wasn't 1 sided in the "positive" or "negative" direction............

Still, some senior members have some major catching up to do and that'll be a mess...

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

GreekGoddess
    I feel like I'm in a high school popularity contest...
    Ack.

your karma statement made it that way so now you expect me to do go against my nature just to have the anti-points i earned through hard work and not by posting jokes and articles mean something? i earned them, dosn't that mean something?
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

GreekGoddess
    I'd rather my greenies mean less than giving out reds to make up for any balance....I don't like to flame, I don't see the point. It doesn't accomplish anything. I'm just here to learn, if I find a good post, it's going to get my greens, if I find a post that wasn't something to brag about, I'm going to keep on going. There's NO need to be cruel.

GreekGoddess
    In fact, the flames that go on here are exactly why my signature is the way it is. I don't know what gets older....the s'kiddies or the people who take the time to acknowledge them with a flame. *shrugs*

I feel like I'm in a high school popularity contest...
    Ack.
    Hehe, good one. I guess I'll never make it now

You are now required to attempt to "balance out" the antipoints that you dish out. Not too many negative assignments, not too many positive assignments. If the system detects that you're "not balanced", you'll receive a notice explaining things on the main site page.
    I don't think this new feature is a good idea for all the reasons already stated above by a number of people. If you compare the AO forums to forums at other sites, we are still remarkably flame-free. We don't need this new feature. I've never given out a negative point and I never will. If you want to take away my share of the little green beans, go ahead. It was never about about "winning" points anyway. The whole AntiPoints thing is getting out of hand.
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.