Linux Gui

Thread: Linux Gui

Banned

Question Linux Gui

I have redhat linux 7.0 With Gnome as my gui. My Question is, Since windows98 is built to run on a gui, Does Linux's Gui run faster than windows on the same computer? Or does windows out run it?

I have run and do run on other puters in my network. XP Pro, 98, 98SE, Win2000, ME, Redhat, Debian, Mandrake and TurboLinux. (Of course 95 etc... but I'll only discuss newer OS'es here for the obvious)

I rank them as follows..... Fastest to slowest from my use, fastest being 1 then to slower. Which may vary depending on usage. I base the Linux distro's running KDE or Gnome.

1. Debian (not recomended for n00bs, fastest by far in my use)
    2. Mandrake and Redhat (tie)
    3. Windows 2000
    4. Turbo Linux
    5. 98SE
    6. WinXP Pro
    7. 98
    8. ME (sucks bad for boot times)

The winner for fastest boot time is Windows 2000 Pro... Hands down... Then Debian
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

Nice information Apoc, I wasn't sure how Debian ranked there. Thanks.

I have found that my linux computer boots slower than my windows pc, however, I run several servers off of my linux pc and they take longer to get going.
    Jealousy consumes the weak.
    http://www.badconnections.net

Originally posted here by AnthonyGayden
    I have found that my linux computer boots slower than my windows pc, however, I run several servers off of my linux pc and they take longer to get going.
    While this is true, that some win boxes boot faster than tux boxes. I was just refering to running the gui after the OS has booted and is running. Thats why I threw in my little side note about Win2000 being the fastest to boot. I just wanted to clairify that so no confusion would come about. I just rated the speed of the gui's after boot based on my own experiances with the OS'es. So it's only my opinion.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!

I don't mind waiting a little, with linux it takes a bit more but once it's running it will do so for days/weeks.
    XP crashes4 to 8 times a week. In Linux the only reason I had to boot whas because of hardware installations.

Originally posted here by {PP}Apocalypse
    I have run and do run on other puters in my network. XP Pro, 98, 98SE, Win2000, ME, Redhat, Debian, Mandrake and TurboLinux. (Of course 95 etc... but I'll only discuss newer OS'es here for the obvious)

I rank them as follows..... Fastest to slowest from my use, fastest being 1 then to slower. Which may vary depending on usage. I base the Linux distro's running KDE or Gnome.
    Nice info, P2P! But I must ask, comparable services running/started at boot time, or similiar hardware, etc? Myself, I've seen some wide variations in boot times for these, depending... not sure I've ever thrown similiar machines together and matched them, though.
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

Originally posted here by draziw
    Nice info, P2P! But I must ask, comparable services running/started at boot time, or similiar hardware, etc?
    For the most part almost identical and if no tvery close/similar hardware. As far as services go. Yes, the same services running almost 99% of the time. I have one machine that I used for a lot of this. It's my test bed computer. It's had more OS'es and apps installed on it than a dog has fleas.........
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!

Computer Forensics
    boot times do vary. For instance...Me and a friend of mine have dell inspiron laptops.. his is a p3 800 with 512mb pc-133. mine is a p3 600 256 mb pc133. I run a dual boot with linux(redhat 2.4.7-10) and windows using grub as my bootloader. He uses windows 2000/xp dualboot with the windows bootloader. We powered em up at the same time, and my computer was booted and I was logged in while he was still goofin off in the windows boot loader.
    So which is faster ? The proof is in the puddin boys and girls.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

How did you go about getting XP and redhat on the same system? I'm looking to do the same but have had some problems. Any feedback would be cool....
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    \"First you get the sugar, then you get the power, then you get the women\"
    ----------------------------------------------------------------