Help cure Cancer <United Devices>

Thread: Help cure Cancer <United Devices>

Help cure Cancer <United Devices>

Ok, after reading this thread and seeing other sites talk about ways to use your CPU cycles, be it SETI@HOME, or UD. I figured, that we as AO, could participate as a team using our CPU cycles, to help find the cure to cancer. So I made a team AntiOnline at; www.ud.com.

ABOUT:

By combining thousands of ordinary PCs to work on extremely large computational projects, problems can be solved more quickly and less expensively than by conventional methods. Now regular people can help fuel research and projects that previously may have required a bank of supercomputers or a hundred years to complete. The Volunteer Your PC program lets you make a real difference without donating money or your time with the tool that you are using to view this site right now—your home PC.

In our Volunteer Your PC program, your computer can join tens of thousands of other PCs across the Internet each working on a small part of a large problem simultaneously. You can help one or more public good projects. To participate, simply download a very small, non-invasive software program that works like a screensaver: it runs when your computer isn't being used, and processes projects—until you need the power. Your computer never leaves your desk, and the project never interrupts your usual PC use.

--------
    Download today, and join Team AntiOnline! Lets help make a difference.
    savIRC :: The Multi-Platform IRC Client v. 1.8 [Released 9.04.02]

I've seen this scheme before, it's piloted by the Chemistry department or Oxford University. IMHO, it's a far more worthier cause to donate your CPU cycles to than finding life on another planet. Apparently they've also made lots of progress towards a possible cure for anthrax following the 11/9 attacks.

It's a shame that I don't have net access from my machine, otherwise I could help too, but my connection comes from computers that I'm not allowed to install software on.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Banned
    Good suggestion, gstudios.
    I remember when JP (or Xy, don't remember anymore) set up the AO SETI-team though.... It died a quick and silent dead...

Hi mom!
    One note for people using w2k profiles and switch computers a lot: once you've installed UD somewhere it'll install itself on every computer you use your profile. It'll be active only when you're logged in using that profile (so, other people using the same computer but another profile won't be bothered). Like pwaring said, it seems a worthier cause than finding some planets or breaking some code.
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

I'm glad to see some people have signed up already. And thanks guys for the support.

I remember when JP (or Xy, don't remember anymore) set up the AO SETI-team though.... It died a quick and silent dead...
    Well, even if everyone quits, i'll still be at it.
    savIRC :: The Multi-Platform IRC Client v. 1.8 [Released 9.04.02]