Security measures

Thread: Security measures

Security measures

Hello, I have a question about my network settings. Anyday now I will be getting my other ethernet card in the mail and I intend to network my computers together. They are both running Zonealarm at the moment for firewall protection but my router also has a firewall installed on that. Will I need to keep the zonealarm running on both PC's or would I be better off using a more configurable firewall, or just use the router firewall. Also dont these routers come with a default password already installed on them? I read that just recently. I would like to change that as well. Ok, that is all
    [shadow]Prepare ship for ludicrous speed![/shadow]

lekt0r..
    I say the more the better.... your ZA can offer things that your router firewall may not be able to, and vice versa....

Really, you put in place as much security as you think is necessary... you set your own lines.... if you think that its too much trouble to have to perform maintainence on your firewall so that you can get a new app to work, there's a line...

As for the default passwords, yes, router's generally do come with default passwords.... but your meant to change them..... if you don't, then your just asking for trouble...
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

To answer part of your question:

If you are using a Linksys, or comparable firewall/router box, then yes, it comes with a default password, and you should change that. Always change default passwords to something else.

I don't see the need to run zonealarm, while you have the firewall/router. But someone else might have a reason as to why you would want too....
    savIRC :: The Multi-Platform IRC Client v. 1.8 [Released 9.04.02]

Do you know who makes your router? I can tell you how to change your password then.
    But it's a necessity that you change your default password.

By me networking the two computers together so I can share data with one another, will that somehow degrade from my overall network security? I would like to keep a very high measure of security on this network. I am aware of at least 2 people in my own hometown who are hell bent on damaging computers. Why? I will never know. I am psyched because this will be my first ever network and it will be up to me to maintain it. I have done a lot of studying to ensure that I will keep myself on the cutting edge of security measures. Ok, thank you for the info. Peace.
    [shadow]Prepare ship for ludicrous speed![/shadow]