Misc Suggestions -Sinking Threads- -Assign towards even- -GoldDots-
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Misc Suggestions -Sinking Threads- -Assign towards even- -GoldDots-

Misc Suggestions -Sinking Threads- -Assign towards even- -GoldDots-

Just a few items that sort of slipped through the cracks or haven't been shot down yet...
    1. New administrative command, to "Sink" a thread.
      The thread can still be replied to, but any bumps are ignored, and any replies do NOT cause the thread to move up the list. This allows a sort of mid-way option between locking and doing nothing. It allows the subject to sink into obscurity without cutting off any ongoing discussion.
    2. Gold Dots and Trancendental levels.
      After a certain antipoint amount, users can no longer recieve antipoints, and have a gold dot which will pop up something along the lines of: 'USER no longer recieves antipoints." The way I see it, it removes possible motive for abuse (scratch-your-back-you-scratch-mine) of antipoints at high levels. Furthermore, it keeps the AP system from becoming an ongoing contest. As for users turning into jackasses once they are antipoint-immune, I feel that most of the problem people would be weeded out long before then, and anyone who does turn around and become a jerk will be prominent enough to earn administrative scrutiny.
    3. (Minor) Assign-towards-even option for assigning antipoints
      If you find a post which you think wasn't really good or bad, but you suspect the user was given positive or negative antipoints unfairly, an assign-towards-even option would allow older members to fix the situation without accidentally pushing the balance of antipoints in the other direction. Assign-towards-even would essentially allow a user to give a fractional amount (instead of the whole shebang) of an antipoint assignment, so that they could bring a post back into 'nuetral' status.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

some nice ideas terr
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

I'm with them all. Well thought out. Here, let me scratch your back...
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

hehe the gold one is alright i guess

but id still like to be able to get more antipoints
    [shadow]i have a herd of 1337 sheep[/shadow]
    Worth should be judged on quality... Not apperance... Anyone can sell you **** inside a pretty box.. The only real gift then is the box..

(Minor) Assign-towards-even option for assigning antipoints
    If you find a post which you think wasn't really good or bad, but you suspect the user was given positive or negative antipoints unfairly, an assign-towards-even option would allow older members to fix the situation without accidentally pushing the balance of antipoints in the other direction. Assign-towards-even would essentially allow a user to give a fractional amount (instead of the whole shebang) of an antipoint assignment, so that they could bring a post back into 'nuetral' status.
    I think this one is a really good idea, as numerous times, I've seen posts of 'nice one' or similar having lots of +AP's assigned to it... Now, I don't see how, in any way, that could be really regarded as a good post...
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

Banned

Re: Misc Suggestions -Sinking Threads- -Assign towards even- -GoldDots-

Originally posted here by Terr
    Just a few items that sort of slipped through the cracks or haven't been shot down yet...
    1. New administrative command, to "Sink" a thread.
      The thread can still be replied to, but any bumps are ignored, and any replies do NOT cause the thread to move up the list. This allows a sort of mid-way option between locking and doing nothing. It allows the subject to sink into obscurity without cutting off any ongoing discussion.
    I like this one the best. It's a good idea on how to take care of bad posts that people keep posting to.

One question though: Would you be able to subscribe to a post that a moderator sank?

I like the sinking thread option, it'd be a good alternative to the bump up! option, although I'd prefer it if the option was available to all users and after say 10 'sinks', the thread would go down as you described. Otherwise, it's still down to the moderators to find and sink threads.

The gold AP would be a good idea, although it would mean than members with such an ability could make contraversial posts without fear of retribution (which can be seen as a good or bad thing) every so often. Not that it'd make much difference to me, I think I'm waaay off getting a gold dot!

I think that a limit should be placed on the number of antipoints each user can give out, e.g. everyone with positive antipoints (0+) would be able to give out one AP at a time, this would increase with every 100 APs you gained (200 AP = 3 APs/assignment), up to a maximum of 12 APs.

Even better, the option to choose how many APs to assign from 1 up to your maximum amount, so a really good post might warrant 4 APs and a mildy amusing post just 1 AP.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Yes all good ideas..

it is good to see the Sink.. there are a few threads that just don't want to die..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Re: Misc Suggestions -Sinking Threads- -Assign towards even- -GoldDots-

My few cent's to the ongoing discussion.

Originally posted by Terr [*]New administrative command, to "Sink" a thread.
    I like the idea .

Originally posted by Terr [*]Gold Dots and Trancendental levels.
    After a certain antipoint amount, users can no longer recieve antipoints.
    IMHO the "super" user with a high level of greenies (gold dot) should be able to recieve the comment's but not the points. Even a user with high level of AP's will be able to see if their post's and threads are good. And ofcourse they should still be able to recieve neg AP's and if they abuse the system loose their little gold dot .

Originally posted by Terr [*](Minor) Assign-towards-even option for assigning antipoints
    This would be a great feature and I would also like to see a bit slight change in the system what a user can give out in AP's some users with a high level of AP's can give out a tremendous high level of AP's.

For example:

1 point for every green dot and after 10 green dots recieve a gold dot with a value of 15 points. And when the "gold dot" user given away a full blast of AP's it shows up as a gold dot instead of a green dot in the comment of the "AP center".

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    1> We have discussed this a few times in the Addicts thread. Like pwaring said, it would be nice if more then just admins could sink threads. Either allow everyone the ability to partially sink a thread and require 10 to 15 votes, or the Senior members with 5 to 10 votes, or even just the "gold dots" and only require a few of them.

2> I see how a lot of people could be afraid of abuse. I believe you should still be able to leave comments, but I don't know about assigning just negs. There would be abuse by those without gold dots assigning negative points...and we are seeing enough of that right now. Maybe a "report" button in the popup, so an abusive "gold dot" message is reported to JP/moderator to bring attention to certain posts. If enough posts get reported, the person looses their status and banned if needed.

3> I think this is an excellent idea. This would help with "back scratching" a lot. There have been a few times I would see this, but I couldn't justify giving the post negative points. It would be a stupid post not worthy of negative or postive points, but to "fix" it, I would end up overcorrecting it, which wouldn't be my intention. Although if someone is involved in "back scratching" maybe they deserve the extra negative points....
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman