Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Misc Suggestions -Sinking Threads- -Assign towards even- -GoldDots-

As for the 'sink' thing, I think it could possibley be community-usable, but it would need some differences. Threads would have at least two days of unsinkability by the public, and would need quite a lot of "dear god let this thread END" requests in order to sink it.

Subscribing should be the same as normal, I mean, if someone wants to participate QUITE that much... well, why not.

True, the issue of Gold-Dotters who decide to work without fear of retribution is a problem. What if after a certain AP level, you are allowed to become gold-dotted, but, and here's a big one... (this is just an idea to toss out there)... if you decide to go to Gold-dot status, your name is appended to antipoint assignments... (and in a way that people can't fake with a crafted comment, either)

So in a way you trade in anonymity of antipoint assignments for immunity from being assigned...

I dunno.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

I'm all for it

If the sink thread thing will keep that sub7 thread form coming back every few weeks you have my unconditional support.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

i liked it a year ago, i like it today. Its the posts and people here that make it.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I think that the gold AP is a better idea with Terr's suggestion that your name would be appended to all assignments you make. That way the most respected members get a benefit but can't abuse the power - it's all about balance, give too much to a small group and somebody will abuse it (I'm not saying that any of the senior members with high APs would do this, but the chances are that someone will - remember FocMaester?).

Sinking threads should be just like the bump up! feature, except they would require say 5 or more requests in order to sink, and could always be brought back up again by the moderators if anyone started abusing the system. Of course you'd still want to be able to subscribe to sinking threads if you enjoyed taking part in such discussions or just flaming anyone who posts there, so long as the rest of us don't have to listen I'm not bothered either way.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Yeah, I think I'm going to backtrack and state that I think that the trade off for gold-dot status should be lack of anonymity. It needs to have some downside, after all.

i really like the sinking thread idea, and assign a portion of antpoints idea as well .. wasnt really big on the gold dot idea but it sounds better with the losing anonymity.. while i am on my soapbox i just would like to throw out my idea to eliminate this whole " "balance your antipoint assigning" thing..or if we have to keep it implement the idea terr has suggested with not being forced to use all your points for negative posts...

I think JP started the Suicide option here over the weekend, as in watch a thread slowly die do a search here to find it. A couple of threads have already have hung, shot, run over them selves, and or other wise died
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Palemoon> The suicide thread kills itself based on the number of negative antipoints. What terr was suggesting was a way to get something off the front page without having to basically get a user banned from all the negative antipoints he/she received for making a stupid post in the first place. Also, we could sink something like the w00t thread that pops up every once in a while. People can still post to the thread, but it just wouldn't show up on the front page any more.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

The difference is, the sunken thread, unlike suicide threads, is not locked. People who are really into it can still participate (for flamewars, for instance) but the majority can be spared having to see it rise to the top of their recent threads list.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Terr> kinda like the *sneaks in* thread in the addicts forum???
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman