Programming

Thread: Programming

Programming

This might be a weird question to ask but is using a linux OS or a Windows OS or some other OS better for programming. Right now I'm learning C++ and I already now VB but I plan to learn a lot more advanced programming languages. Any advice would be helpful.

Antionline Quitter..Srsly
    well VB only runs in Windows...so yes certain O/Ses are better for certain languages....for example lots of ppl like to code perl in linux....and C....mainly due to the fact that compilation time will be much faster on linux ...hope that helps
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"

It depends on what you want to accomplish. If you want to build Linux apps, then you can program in Linux using gcc, Python, BASH scripting, PERL, Qt.... if you wanna make Windows apps, then you can use VB, C#, C++, ASM, and others. So before you ask, what is the best programming language, ask yourself what programming language is best for you.

As for opionions, I have used c++, VB and others here and there but never gotten really serious with it. From what I have used, C++ is the most concise and beautiful language ever devised, but when something goes wrong or there is debugging to do, it can be the nastiest piece of crap you ever encountered while the compiler laffs and laffs...

and to add to emrys statement, some OSs are more stable (dont crash) than others (eg. Programming in C with Windows and Linux ). If some OSs crash frequently, programmers will lose some of there work and time.

C/C++ to me os overall one of the best languages. You could also try Java or Assembler. If you need any help just PM me, I can send you some ebooks on some programming languages.

java is a lot like C kinda the same syntax...only problem with it is it is dominated by windows...i am pretty sure java compilers for linux are out there but i heard the windows one are much better....
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"

TechieChick
    Originally posted here by emrys
    i am pretty sure java compilers for linux are out there but i heard the windows one are much better....
    There are.

Jikes

Jump

Page of hints and tips on Java in a Linux environment

TC

there ya go liquid....thx TC

just for sheer volume, i would go for Windoze. it is the biggest thing in business, so whether you like it or not, you better get used to it.

high-end real programming should be done on linux.
    just like water off a duck\'s back... I AM HERE.

for CMOS help, check out my CMOS tut?