Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: computer hardware/BIOS error

Unhappy computer hardware/BIOS error

I have an old PC running on a 486, not sure about RAM or anything else. I recently dug it out of the attic and thought that i would wipe the hard drive (407 mB) and install Red Hat Linux 7.2. I formatted the C: drive, and it then gave me a message saying "Warning, possilbe virus detection, continue?" i said "yes" and it the asked me to name the drive, if i remember correctly. My computer then froze, and I had to reboot. When it was starting up, it gave me a "non-system disk error" because I had left a floppy in the drive. I took it out, but it still gave me the error. So i rebooted a couple of times but the same thing happened. At this point, I was annoyed, so i took the box apart, and removed the floppy. Then I changed the BIOS so that it didn't think there were any floppy drives, though there was still a CD drive now plugged in the cable that had been attached to the 3 1/2 floppy.....any suggestions as to a way i can fix this, because it's still giving me the error.

WHAT IS THE DRIVE ORDER? A,C,D?

HOW WAS THE CD ROM HOOKED ON THE SAME CABLE AS THE FLOPPY? THe A: Drive is Not hooked up to the IDE

Where did the error message come from?
    If it came from the BIOS, then this is a fairly 'normal' message and will happen if you have 'virus detection' turned on the BIOS. The message is issued if you try to write data to the boot sector of your HDD. Shouldn't cause your PC to freeze though!
    Not likely to be a problem with your floppy drive - I suspect your HDD is now in a rather dodgy state, which is why you are getting the non system disk error.
    One option is to reconnect the floppy drive, and boot from a basic system disk, and try the format again. Doesn't really matter what type of system disk you use - one created under Windows will be fine for this.
    Alternatively, if the CD you have allows you to boot from it, then you can see if that works. You will need to alter your BIOS settings to get it to boot from the CD, rather than the HDD. f

turn off u r virus scanner and try it again the reason u r getting the error message is because ur trying 2 write 2 the hard drive
    and the virus scanner thinks its virii trying 2 write 2 u r hard drive
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

As BlazeTech said, the floppy connection and the HDD/CD connection are completely different.
    You will see two different types of cable coming from the motherboard - one of them will connect to your floppy, and the other (the IDE one) will be connected to your HDD and the CD.

Banned
    Did you format, then restart without installing Linux. if so this just means there is no OS on yur machine and that you need a boot disk to start installing an OS

Go into your BIOS and double check that your CD Drive is your first boot device (if your BIOS will even allow this), and if it doesnt you'll need some kind of startup floppy to run the setup off of the CD.

Try Making a win STartup Disk And Run Fdisk on it

Banned
    To Pastypyro, he is running a 486 which means, as i recall doesnt have the option to boot form the CD rom