Thread: Viewing the DNS Servers provided by DHCP

Viewing the DNS Servers provided by DHCP

Just a quick question, how do I find out what the DNS servers I've been provided to use by my ISP's DHCP servers are under Red Hat 7.2? I currently just want to manually set the DNS servers for my Windows boxes so that I can get them back on the net, I'll look into better methods for doing it in the near future... such as setting up a DNS forwarder server on the box... but right now, I'm anxious to get things just working...

I've tried ifconfig, but could only get it to show me what the IP address of eth0 is, not what DNS servers its been given..

Thanks..

I must say... links is quite funky...

Oh, and incase you couldn't guess by the fact that I'm using links, I don't have Gnome or KDE installed....
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

Computer Forensics
    run an nslookup on yourself, that will get you your primary dns server
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

from a window$ box (with DHCP) try ipconfig /all
    your ISP should have some sort of support area that will almost certinly have their primary & secondary DNS.

J.
    [glowpurple]manually editing your config files can break them. If this happens, you get to keep both pieces. [/glowpurple]

Thanks hogfly!

jcdux,
    I knew how to get it from Windows, just not *nix... and since I'm lazy, and didn't want to disconnect the cables and change the network settings yet again to get them from Windows, I figured I'd pick someone's brains.... mmmmm brains...

/me indulges in the feelings of n00biness... I haven't felt this way since... yesterday, but shhhhhh
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    You can also check /etc/resolv.conf and see if it was written to at lease-time.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.