NetBios, HMMM?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NetBios, HMMM?

Banned

Question NetBios, HMMM?

MY friend and i have lan partys every so often, and its really nice having netbios computer names pop up so we can trade patches and maps for games and such and have it go into the directory of the game. Is it possible to do this over the internet? Im not asking how to hack in and be an admin with read/write, Im just wondering if its possible to have those shares pop up. I know its a security no no to have it running on the net anyways but im just curious cause when we play multiplayer over the internet and not intranet it would be nice to be able to do our map trading.

yeah its possible.. just enable them shares and give them access to it.. but yeah its a no no since anyone can crack through and access your shared files and work their way up... or leave something nasty in your computer..

Banned
    I mean, how do you access it from the internet, I can do it from a lan but i dont know how to While on the internet

you need the other partys IP address. Map a network drive.
    \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\sharename
    My advice if you are going to do this : use STRONG passwords and make it READ ONLY shares.
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.

Computer Forensics
    instead of invoking that security threat over the internet.....why not ftp to eachother or all get AIM and trade files that way? just giving you some other options than bills gift to h4x0rs
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

Banned
    PRobobly a dumb question, BUt how do i map a network drive?

right click network neighborhood... make sure you set up sharing first and set passwords... (to set up sharing: add microsoft client for file and print sharing, right click on the folder/drive you want to share and click share as, enter a name and a P A S S W O R D.
    make the share read-only unless you really need the person connecting to be able to write.
    apply etc)
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    You can also use the net commands in a dos prompts.
    Type: net use /?
    it will give you the instructions.

Basically, its:
    net use <drive:> \\<computer>\<share> [password]
    also works for maping printers:
    net use <port:> \\<computer>\<share> [password]
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Well, ftp is pretty much a security no no by now too...
    Personnaly what I'd do is tunnel netbios in an ssh tunnel but that might be to complicated for Blaze for now....

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

Banned
    I must be a totall moron or something, I cannot for the life of me get this to work through the internet, i run the net commands and it just tells me host is unreachable, i tried it under win 98 and Xp. Also, i tried running nbtstat -A over the internet with his ip and i cant get it to list his shares, He told me what the shares are named, but i still cant connect to them.