Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NetBios, HMMM?

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    Well, Its like this. NETBios is a form of exploitation on a windows machine. Why would you risk exposing yourself by enabling filesharing and netbios? Why go through all this trouble to set it up and enable a "Security Flaw", when you can simply get ahold of mIRC and DCC stuff? There are several other more secure methods you could be using, but you insist on trying to go thru netbios and keep asking how to enable stuff and access stuff. Save yourself the time and just DCC stuff. You claim its for games and maps and patches. How big are these things? I play quake and over the net it only takes me like 45 secs to download a new map over dsl. Even if you were to download several maps it would only take you a max of maybe ten minutes. (and thats for a LOT of maps) Why not just DCC it?

It sounds to me like your trying to figure out how to hack thru netbios. I smell something funny and its not Hogfly's farts.

Why are you not considering any other methods and dead set on using NETBios? What is your reasoning behind this?

Its not that i am not considering other ways, i was just wondering how to do it over the internet. I am on a 56k by the way, and so is he. We were just wanting to see how to do it over the net. If you think that i would use this for hacking, i would probobly do the same as you and be weary of telling me. But, i assure you i am not. I use mirc every once in a while. And some other file sharing utils. Im not insisting on using netbios as my main or even any way of file transport. i was just wondering how it could be done. If you dont want to tell me then by all means, you are under no obligation to assist.

save yourself a lot of trouble, there's a couple very good netbios tuts people here at AO wrote. just check the post labled index. or do a forum search.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    Fair enough.. Heres what you do for win98

1) Goto Start--->Settings--->control panel

Double click network

In the window look for NetBEUI..

If its not there click on add... Click Protocal in the window and click add..

Choose Microsoft in the left window and netbeui in the right.. click ok

Now in the main network screen click on file and Print sharing.

check I want to be able to give others access to my files. click ok.

Now you should have an entry that says file and printer sharing for microsoft networks in your
    "The following network components are installed:" window.
    In the network window click on the "access control" tab.

click the share level access control selection.

In the identification tab enter some info about your computer to identify it.

click ok.. you may have to provide your win98 cd here..

Now go to the folder you store your maps and stuff in and right click on the folder and choose sharing.

Select the share as and enter your password info and sharename info.. Make sure you password protect it!

If you choose the depends on password for read write you will have to select two different passwords for each.. click apply and reenter the passwords again. click ok and again click ok.

Restart and your all ready.. have your friend do the same to his computer. When you ready to trade stuff click start--->find---->Computer and enter your friends ip and you should be all set..

If I missed anything lemme know peeps..