Washington Post Editorial
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Washington Post Editorial

Thumbs up Washington Post Editorial

Maybe the subject no longer seems worth discussing,
    but, I like to follow this topic.

nothing would prevent the president -- even in the absence of a formal declaration of war -- from designating any American as an enemy combatant. Without proving the correctness of the charge before a court, the military could then detain that person forever. And having done so, it could prevent that detainee from hiring a lawyer to argue that the government, in fact, has it all wrong.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2002Jun10.html
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

I think this topic is worth discussing

Holding people without charges then not giving them a trial or a lawyer sounds like something that happens in banana republics and communist states. Just my 2 cents
    Its not software piracy. Im just making multiple off site backups.

Agreed. SInce 9/11, it seems anybody that even 1/2 way resembles Middle Eastern or Indian decent is now looked at twice. I do not think it is fair to arrest and hold somebody without rights, including a Lawyer and due process. Case in point, Amnesty News shows just how crazy this has become. I was also trying to find the article where a teen kid running an "anti-government" web site was raided by the FBI and all his stuff was confiscated. It seems to me poeple are starting to think twice as to what is allowed to be said, and to me, that is denying free speech.

Bottom Line: To speak and have opinions, even if it is the controversial policies of Bush (Which some would argue otherwise) and our government (Which tends to nose in where it does not belong) is allowed to do so. To kill others needlessly for any cause is not, and the terrorist acts was one of them... C'mon, let's wake up here. Catch the real criminals; the intelligence community has some technology...

that is unfortunate that the gov't is exploiting 9-11 like that but far from suprising
    what is love but contempt for hate?

Antionline Quitter..Srsly
    yea we are slowly evloving into a less free country....lets hope it is for the better(probably isnt)
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"

Well the US has just recently changed/accepted a few laws that would make it possible for the US to invade Holland if we ever tried to convict any US soldiers.
    The ppl here are going crazy now as if WWIII is about to break out.

Originally posted here by Leviatan
    Well the US has just recently changed/accepted a few laws that would make it possible for the US to invade Holland if we ever tried to convict any US soldiers.

Well there ya go.....the good old US....Leviatan, if you could give me a link to where I can read more on this it would be greatly appreciated.

<rant>Well it looks like Orwell had it right. He was just off a few years. I'm all for security and safety. But, damn it, look at all the Americans that have died on foreign soil just so we can preserve our rights. Now our own government is becoming what our fathers and aforfathers fought and died for. Rights are our most basic freedom, it's what seperates us from countries that control what you do, think and say. The laws with their checks and balances were put in place to keep our goverment for the PEOPLE and by the PEOPLE. Not for the president and the military. I have served my country and would gladly fight for and die for my country but not if it's going to become a police state. We are supposed to be the model of democracy. If we continue like this, such as holding people without representation. Every little dictatorship in the world will use this to justify their actions. I agree something should be done to combat terrorist and terrorism. But, DON"T TAKE AWAY OUR RIGHTS. Thats what formed this country to begin with....................</rant>
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

Ok I've searched for a English version but all I could come up with whas this parody, offcourse what it says isn't happening but it's speculating on what if it did and what this law actually is about.

http://www.staatsgeheim.com/bush/index.html

---------------------------
    ---------------------------

bush told the world court to FK FF. one of the few good things that he's done. nobody's made any threats to holland or anybody else, its just that our policy stays the way it has been. its always been such, that the us can invade any country that detains us citizens. this dosn't mean ****.

this is the (would be) new world order making noise threw holland. piss on a one world government.

Abdullah al Muhajir is actually Jose Padilla, born in brooklyn. Him being detained has nothing to do with his ethnicity, he planned to detonate a 'dirty bomb' in washington, a device designed to hamper rescue efforts by covering the blast area with radioactive debris. the way he's being held is nothing new, the man is a traitor.

this is not the threat to freedom. ill bet echelon or carnivor had nothing to do with his capture. our privacy is being invaded every day, our government it siding with big buisness against us.

and now we have the 'dept of homeland security' dimbulbs looking out for us. this will be as effective as the rest of their projects.

dept of labor. has not created any jobs

dept of education - SAT scores have droped since its inception

Dept of houseing - has created slums

Dept of national security - i shudder to think of it. 170,000 plus people in it. 169,999 plus places to pass the buck when something goes wrong.

no defense, just another step closer to a police state.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 The Prophet said, Isnt the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man? The women said, Yes. He said, This is because of the deficiency of a womans mind.