Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Virii Question

Exclamation Virii Question

In 3 days I have recieved 2 virii attachments to emails . Two seprate emails but the same virii. I email back the two people and they respond that it wasnt them, which of course they would. The question I have is how can I track email hops back to the original emailer? Or could someone at least send me too a site which infos me how to go about retrace'n the steps back to the original emailer if in case it was'nt those two emailers. If that all made sense too you.
    Thanks for any help

Ferret

Well they didn't send those e-mails, their systems got infected and started sending infected e-mails to people in their address books. Some e-mail viruses are also intelligent enough to use remailers or infected mail servers.

Who says two hops back is were the virus originated. Could be 2, could be 1000. I'm not sure what you hope to accomplish by tracing back e-mails. I hope you’re not planning some kind of lame vigilante thing.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

I had thought of that, and that was one of my questions too them if they had me on any of there email lists, or any messanger service and they didnt. So I was assume'n that someone just used there email addy name and emailed it. I wasnt on any of there lists nor did I know them from adam.

I didnt mean 2 hops literally I understand it could be several I was using that as an explanation. And just because I want to trace it back to the original source doesnt mean I want too do "some kind of lame vigilante thing." I just want to know where it originated from and from who, 2cd if Im asking how to do hops back to originating source obviously Im a semi noob and most likely wouldnt know what to do anyways. Maybe you should use your brain and think Maybe he wanted to see if he knew the person who was really sending these emails. Also most like to do this kind of stupid sh it of sending anonymous email virii anonymously. If i find the source email 9 times out of 10 he would most likely stop because I tracked it back to him and he wasnt anonymous anymore.

Like I said, even if it's 1 hop or 10 hops, it doesn't matter. Because whoever you trace, it's not his fault, got infected, e-mail virus spread to his address book.
    There is no way in hell you can track down the originator.

Ok obviously Leviatan you have no clue what your talking about. Because I was'nt on either of there address book for it too spread to me that way. All they did was use there outlook and change there from address to there own, its not hard to do that. And I had a friend from work trace it back and it was actually quite easy. So next time Leviatan before you act like you know what your talking about when your giving advice, please know what your talking about for real.

Ferret, sending mails back doesn´t do any help.
    It´s usually even contrapruducent (you can originate some kind of chain reaction... or somebody think it was you who originated it....)
    The advice I can give you is: don´t mail back
    Cojunudo

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Ferret> Obviously you have no idea what you are talking about. First off what was the virus? There is a good chance that someone in here has atleast battled the virus, if not examined it. Anyway, let me give you an example.

The Klez worm, which is probably the most prolific virus out right now...
    When this virus infects a machine, it reads the outlook address book. It then choses any one name in the address book and uses that as the from address. It then emails itself to everyone else in the book. So If I was infected with klez, and both you and leviathian were in my address book, it may send you the message with leviathians return address, even though leviathian doesn't have you in his address book, and may not have any clue who you are. The from address is forged by the virus. It was probably sent to you by someone you know, most likely a close friend, and they just don't know that they are infected.

Like I said, we could give you more help if you gave us more information. Tracing an email message back to its original destination is normally a matter of reading the header file, but like I said, it depends on the virus....
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

And as I said in the previous , We did trace it back after a few said here it was impossible, and yes it was a friend that was infected and did not know it. Thats why I asked for alittle help in the first place but so far I was semi- flamed or told it was impossible. Well for the impossible Ive made a reality, I figured it out with a friend who wasnt looking just to start flaming. Traced it back to my friend and helped him remove the worm. alls good and alls done.