Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Virii Question

DJM thanks but Im sure bello is just trying to see if he can pop this noobie into doing something stupid like that. Im sure he's just trying to welcome the noob to AO. Im a noob but not a stupid noob..

Originally posted here by Ferret
    DJM thanks but Im sure bello is just trying to see if he can pop this noobie into doing something stupid like that. Im sure he's just trying to welcome the noob to AO. Im a noob but not a stupid noob..
    If that's the case, I hope he ducks. There was a thread posted yesterday about an IRC chat in which a 'noob' was taking 'advise' from so called experts. I won't go into detail but one of the things they told the noob to do was to use the "deltree" command to solve the problem. That thread was not viewed very 'positive' around here.

Cheers:
    DjM

HeyFerret:

When I can identify someone whose computer sent me a virus, I telephone the owner of the infected PC. Being cheap, I will send an email if it involves a long distance call.

Yea it was a friend who had a worm and his email address list got hijacked by it and sent it too everyone, that was one of the reasons why I wanted to track it down because I have a semi working knowledge of how they operate. And souleman remember me cuz if I ever ask about something im in the 10% of wanting too know why and how rather than revenge. Im here to learn, read, read somemore, ask questions and answer what I know. Im not out to hunt people on the internet or damage other peoples things. Just like the knowledge, next time I ask thou I will make sure I explain in more detail so you all know im not trying to get revenge rather than trying to find the knowledge and answers. so thanks to who helped and too those lamers like bello try your own advice...

i had this problem with msn messanger but the problem was that there was a file being sent around but it was kinda easy to tell because alot of ppl messaged me wit the same font and color asking me to accept a file, plus they repeated everything, but didnt know they were doing it because it didnt appear on their screen but yea when guys message u in PINK bold new york times font u kinda get suspicious haha but the virus spead like urs, one person sent it to person #1 on their contact list, person number one without recognition sent it to EVERYONE on their contact list who was online (however not all may have accepted) , from person # 2 say uuummm 16 people got infected those 16 ppl will send the virus to the ppl on their contact list , so do u see how hard that can be to track down? most ppl have the skills , just not the patience

-JAN

HeyFerret:

Last week, I received several emails containing Klez. The sender was easily located by examination of the "Reply To" portion of the email header. On Tuesday, another Klez-bearing email appeeared in my Inbox. Examination of the IP address indicates the ISP. The "Reply To" test doesn't seem to reveal the sender machine.

Tracking down the infected computer seems to be at best a hit or miss proposition.

Yea it does bucket luckily this time it was a "hit" for me lol the reply too didnt help me at all this time, the isp is what did it luckily i knew which isp my buddy was using.

On the latest one, the infected computer has my email address in the Windows Address Book.
    The ISP is Comcast.net. Somewhere in the infected PC lies the following email address : molliehsimpson@comcast.net - whoever that it.

I don't have a clue as to the identity of the owner of the infected PC. <grumble>