Windows isn't so bad!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows isn't so bad!

Banned

Talking Windows isn't so bad!

Many people is saying that Windows have many security-holes but i can find any in a clean install of Windows XP or 2k. I can find much more holes in Linux than Windows (on the web). Doesn't that mean windows is a secure OS??

I can find much more holes in Linux than Windows

Show me proof!

i use a windows box and im desperately tring 2 get rid of it because of security flaws well hope i have linux by the weekend
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

Well Linux may be safe but but not secure, a secure OS would be OpenBSD.
    But then again, really advanced Linux professionals can customize they're linux system to be really secure, so I guess it depends on the user or the person who administers the box.

Banned
    Originally posted here by Conf1rm3d_K1ll

Show me proof! [/B]
    It's very easy! Just search the web or read Hacking Exposed.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    A default install of any OS is not secure (except for OpenBSD). There are 2 primary differences between Windows and Linux (or other open source software).

1> Being open source, you can customize anything. If you find a security flaw, you can fix it yourself. With Windows you have to wait for a vendor patch.

2> Being open source, holes are patched a LOT faster. It takes windows approximatly 2 to 3 weeks to patch a vulnerabilty while it takes linux less the 48 hours (normally around 24 hours).
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

It's very easy! Just search the web
    Google search for windows exploits 125,000 results
    Google search for linux exploits 84,600 reslutls

Ok, good proof
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    -- souleman

[rubbish]
    hmm a bit of a pot calling a kettle black...

or is that a bit like turning up at the GMH factory and extoling the virtues of FORD..

hmm I think I got that last one the wrong way around..

or comparing the towing performance of a Mini with a F250..

[/rubbish]

When I last thought that I had my XP box secured.. I learned I missed a simple one .. my toaster tried to join my network, gee it was bad enough with the fridge and stove... what next the Mixmaster.. j/k
    Yep uPnP is now disabled.. now that is normal in a CLEAN install..

Know your systems weakness, and never never assume all is well.. Regardless of O/S

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

I agree with you, souleman, but itīs also true that win2k or XP are a great improvement to the not very secure NT
    Cojunudo

With uPnP turned on by default you consider XP a security improvement over NT? Remember we are talking about default installs.. And even after patching the entire system, NT is a lot more tested then either 2K or XP. Threre are still a LOT more holes to find in both OS's, yet NT is pretty much worked over. But I wasn't trying to argue NT vs 2K/XP, I am arguing ANY open source vs ANY closed source. Microsoft vs. Linux is just the example that DBM used, so I went with it....
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    -- souleman