Hacker?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hacker?

Banned

Question Hacker?

I know that a script kiddie is a newbie. But how good (errrh... bad ) is a newbie?? Hacked 5 computers and you are a "normal"?? Or maybe very good knowledge of computers or programming?? I know computer and programming better than all of my friends (and some more ) but I've never hacked a computer. I'm understanding the idea but don't know how. Am I a newbie or "normal"???

Hi mom!
    Being a newbie isn't the exact description of a scriptkiddie. A scriptkiddie is someone that cracks computers using tools provided by others, or, to put it in other words, someone who uses automatic tools to hack computers. The recognisable part of a scriptkiddie is that he has no idea what he's exactly doing, he does not know which bugs he exploits, or how he exploits them.
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

i think that you are definitely a newbie only because you don't have an understanding of what it is you are trying to be. "hackers" don't HAVE to hack peoples puters to be "normal" as you put it. there is so much more to the term. besides, most people except newbies don't really aspire to be a "hacker" because of the media connotation. many people have changed what they call themselves to "security expert". but no there is no set number of puters you have to hack, it's more of a mentality and a skill level.
    Learn like you are going to live forever, live like you are going to die tomorrow.

Propoganda

Well towards computer engineering (if you know computers and programming) then you're quite an advanced user.
    But if you have a good unerstanding of programming then I guess you should be able to understand certain exploits and problems with bad programming. In other words you're not a newbie. But then again, can you really do what you're written in your post?

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    I can't remember who said it, but the best one was "You are not a hacker, until another hacker calls you one." That doesn't mean that once some script kiddie calls you a hacker you are (because they are not). mafiaboy, the kid who took down ebay, and yahoo, and a few other places was a script kiddie. He took down a 1/2 dozen major sites, but that doesn't mean anything. He had a bunch of bots, so it was simple.

I am not sure what you mean by a "normal" Knowing more then your friends may make you more computer literate then they are, but if they are all 5 years old and never seen a computer, then you don't know much. If they are all programmers, then you may be a real hacker. Hacking isn't about running exploits on computers. Its about using you knowledge to make the computer do what you want it to.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Hacked 5 computers and you are a "normal"??
    depends on how/what/why u hacked them boxes... its always quality over quantity.. thats how a skill of a computer expert is based on..
    so what if mr leet haxor defaced 100 public library websites.. he is nothing compared to mr uber leet haxor who hacked 2 CIA/FBI servers.. get my point? and im not saying its good.. im just saying its how we base and identify or fingerprint our culprits...

I travel in a very computer literate circle. I disagree with the media's use of the term Hacker. What the media considers a hacker I consider a cracker or scriptkiddie. I perfer the traditional definition of a hacker -someone who throughly understands something and can use that knowledge in a creative way.

The following "
    2) What is a hacker?

Good question. A hacker is someone who hacks. What is hacking?=20
    Well, there is a definition of hack in the Jargon File/New Hacker's
    Dictionary that tries to cover it. The Jargon File is an awesome
    resource for anyone interested in computers, so you should go read it.=20
    Here's the URL:

HTTP://www.ccil.org/jargon/jargon.html

In short, hacking is about using available technology in a creative
    way to solve a problem. It can be a stupid problem and an ugly
    solution, as long as it is a new and creative solution. Hacking
    extends to all forms of technology, not just computers--using the
    thighbone of an antelope to bash in the head of another antelope was
    an excellent hack. Now that I've given a short definition of what
    hacking is, I can try and tell you what isn't a hack. Hacking is not
    about breaking things. It isn't about denial of service attacks or
    pirated software or deleting or stealing other people's data. If you
    are interested in doing any of these things, alt.hackers is going to
    bore you. Try the alt.2600.* hierarchy if you're looking for that
    sort of conversation. And call yourself a cracker, not a hacker.

" is from http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=&...ng.net&rnum=26

Cheers,
    -D
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

Hackers vs. crackers: http://www.zion1459.dreamwater.org/cpc.htm

script kiddies mostly end up as crackers (but can turn to the good site and become hackers). Script kiddies now sh*t but hackung... they use other ppls scripts etc... the only thing worse the SKs is "click kiddiots" (the script kiddies little brother lmao the kids who love drag and drop proggies to crack 'puter security and don't know sh*t about anything at all)
    zion1459
    Visit: http://www.cpc-net.org
    \"Software is like sex: it\'s better when it\'s free.\" -Linus Torvalds

Well said souleman, Guus, and the rest. You will not be a hacker until you prove you skills are good enough to break into a network of some sort, or if another hacker says your good. If you break into a system because it has file sharing, sure you hacked it, but you should be using all of your knowledge to make something happen that would allow you access. You're no hacker if you're a script kiddie, or if you're a lamer who just knows how to use a port scanner, and find an exploit someone else wrote and use it.

I know that a script kiddie is a newbie. But how good (errrh... bad ) is a newbie??
    I would like to point out, script kiddies and newbies are totally different. Newbies are looking for knowledge. Script kiddies wish destruction. Script kiddies won't know what they're doing, as long as it worked and had a bad effect against their target. Newbies are new to the hacking scene, and are asking questions, and reading as much as they can to learn, and learn. They have found out, the great thing about a computer(well there are lots, but here is a good one), you can never know it all, there will always be something for you to learn. A newbie is good at this, a newbie should have a general knowledge of tcp, like ftp and telnet, they know how trojan horses work, they can program in some a a few languages, or know a good bit on one programming language, they could make a small exploit, they know some unix, etc..

I hope you don't end up hacking in to a computer a mess anything thing up. Try a wargame, http://www.pulltheplug.com, http://www.hackerslab.org. Or get permission to test the security. If you do break into anything, please patch the hole. Now I hope your in here for knowledge...tell me if you want any text files, tutorials, etc. you can use, I will always help someone willing to learn.
    [gloworange]Die, or surrender, either way won\'t work.[/gloworange]
    [shadow]HuntX7[/shadow]

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    You will not be a hacker until you prove you skills are good enough to break into a network of some sort, or if another hacker says your good.
    Notice he said that your skills are good enough to break into a network. He did NOT say you had to break into a network. I have been labeled a hacker by quite a few different people, yet I have NEVER broken into a network (ok, so maybe I have found passwords in html code and posted it on here, but that is about as simple as you can get). Being a hacker is about the knowledge and the ability, not actually doing it. I would use my knowledge to fix problems, not to exploit other systems.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman