File Transfer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: File Transfer

File Transfer

I have to send my friend a file that is rather large, ( 2551180k). Currently, were are sending it threw AIM, however it isn't really take adavantage of our cable modems (both of us have one ) going about 13-15kb/s . I was wondering what other ways are there to send it that could be faster. (Don't have a burner ) Thanks for any help.
    WWJD
    What Would Jesus Do (For a klondike Bar?)

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    email
    DCC in IRC
    ftp if one of you has a server
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Banned
    this ftp server is free for thirty days or so.....unless you get the crack from kazaa

http://www.bpftp.com/download.html

what you use may or may not help...you probably have the standard cable package which is async...that is dl speed is way faster than ul...

a test of my cable connection this morning....

2002-06-12 12:50:36 EST: 2284 / 421
    Your download speed : 2284878 bps, or 2284 kbps.
    A 278.9 KB/sec transfer rate.
    Your upload speed : 421318 bps, or 421 kbps.
    Seems like broadband .. above the 1mbit barrier!

from broadbandreports.com

as you can see my dl speed is 5.5 times as fast as ul...(and it's smokin fast this morning...i usually get 1.5mps dl and 250 kbps ul....)

so...both of you having cable doesn't mean you'll be able to exchange the file at max dl speed...since one of you will be ul-ing...at anywhere from <100kbps to >400kbps...depending on your connection....

also...some email servers place limits on file size....so something that large can be a problem...

have you tried compression...ala winzip???
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

I find that when you have large files to transfer "File Splitters" are handy,the ftp server method is handy but takes too long,and in my humble opinion presents security risks,people trying to access the ftp service anon,etc.Another good method is to have a CD Burner at hand,I can figure you can guess why.

http://www.webattack.com/Freeware/do...ilesplit.shtml ; A link to a bunch of "File Splitters."

Re: File Transfer

Originally posted here by RaDIaToR52
    I have to send my friend a file that is rather large, ( 2551180k). Currently, were are sending it threw AIM, however it isn't really take adavantage of our cable modems (both of us have one ) going about 13-15kb/s . I was wondering what other ways are there to send it that could be faster. (Don't have a burner ) Thanks for any help.
    That speed is normal. You will only transfer as fast as your upload. And it is capped at 128 kbits/sec. Which is around 15 kbytes/s.

Not sure how Aim works, if their transfer is direct or goes through a server first. But it is definently slower than, using DCC over IRC. Or FTP Server. Even DCC can be a tad slower than FTP. In my experience, FTP is the quickest. You can get a server, and configure it so it is as secure as its weakest exploit . i.e. only allow your ip address, not allow anon users, allow only one dir/folder to be accessible, only read access etc.

As for the file splitter idea. It doesn't really help with how quick it goes. You are still downloading the same amount of bytes. Just in smaller packages, therefore it seems as though you are downloading quicker. It could be helpful when you are on dialup, so you can grab a few parts of the file, here and there....

Bottom Line: Use FTP
    savIRC :: The Multi-Platform IRC Client v. 1.8 [Released 9.04.02]

Well,what I mean is if the ftp server doesn't have resume support for downloading then whatcha' gonna do,what you said about it helping on Dial-Up is true,I have used the file splitter method many times,because like I said,sometimes a server doesn't have resume support for a download,and so I have to download the whole thing again,which really stinks.

Antionline Quitter..Srsly
    well if they have cable they wont need resume...imean it should take no time for them
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"

I guess you could say that it depends on the situation,if for example there's a storm,and the lights go out,power's off etc,then resume support would help,wouldn't it?

As most people have clearly stated, I would prefer to use ftp. I can help you setup ftp servers or explain ftp better. Pm me.