ports

Thread: ports

ports

hello ppl i run a win98 o/s and im wondering if u can close open ports that have a connection to them (eg)ads .antionline.com80 but i have 2 connections i dont recognize on ports 1863 &
    8571 should i be concerend any help would be appreciated ty in advance
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

are they tcp or udp?

they are tcp
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

iana (http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers) has 1863 listed as MSNP. I am not sure what that is. 8571 is unassigned.

Banned
    1863 is MSN...
    8751 is an unassigned port... there's no info on known trojans using that port...

IANA Port numbers assignment
    The Well Known Ports are those from 0 through 1023.

The Registered Ports are those from 1024 through 49151

The Dynamic and/or Private Ports are those from 49152 through 65535
    Neohapsis logical port list
    Network Ice logical port list/exploits
    Robin Keir's giant port list

I have heard of a program called Net Watcher which is located on the Win 98 CD which can disconnect connections,as for port 1863, this is the port apparently that MSN Messenger uses,for Port 8571 I do not know what services use it,I strongly advise you to get a firewall such as ZoneAlarm and monitor the connections.ZoneAlarm(ZA) has a neat feature on it that let's you stop all internet activity for a certain period of time or for how long you want it to(great if your on Dial-Up,no need to disconnect and redial again).

http://www.blackcode.com/ has a port scan that will scan your ports and compare the open ports to a list commonly used by trojans. If you use a anonymous proxy which hides your ip address you should get permission or inform them of your actions before you scan, because they might interprit it as an atack. Also if you have a software firewall on your computer you might want to disable it first, otherwise blackcode will be regected access to your ports.

Also check out hackingtruths.box.sk last time I checked they had a list of common trojans an their corosponding port that they use. If in doubt disconect your internet then use netstat, you should find all the conections are now closed, if not you may have a trojan or back door.
    In snatches, they learn something of the wisdom
    which is of good, and more of the mere knowledge which is of evil. But must I know what must not come, for I shale become those of knowledgedome. Peace~

Antionline Quitter..Srsly
    tiny firewall is one of the bests....and if u set it to ask ya to allow certain packets thru it is very good...best part is that it is free ...and compatiable with most O/S's
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"

msnp 1863/tcp MSNP

1863 is tcp its a messenger proggie your only need for concern is being on windoze