Thread: NS/Portfolio - Windows 2000 Shutdown Issue

NS/Portfolio - Windows 2000 Shutdown Issue

Hey guys, I've got a non-security related issue here but I thought I'd come to you guys hoping that someone could help me because I'm running out of options. Here's the situation - I've got a PC, running Windows 2000 Pro SP2 that I'm running NS/Portfolio v3.12 (an AS400 emulation suite for a PC). Here's the problem - after installing the NS software, the PC won't shut down - it exits Windows, apparently correctly, then hangs at a black screen with a blinking cursor. My best guess is that it's power related. Sources of information that I'm coming across all point to power issues, but I haven't found anything that works yet. The company who created the software no longer supports this particular package, so no help there.

Has anyone else experienced a similar situation with this software package? Or, if you have experienced a Windows 2000 shutdown problem with another software package, what kind of fix did you apply? I've 'Googled' for answers, but so far haven't come up with anything that works. Is there a way I can force Windows 2000 to off everything and shutdown completely?

The BIOS has been flashed with the latest software - I did this thinking that if it was a power issue, maybe this would solve it.

Any ideas or sources of information you guys could point me to would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance...
    - Maverick

if its only after you installed the emulator then thats probably your issue. Try to uninstall it see if it will shutdown properly.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

Check the event viewer and see if you can find anything.

It is definitely the third party program - when uninstalled, shutdown works just fine...

Thanks for your response, though...
    - Maverick

hmm...

Ive had a problem like thats aswell before, but it was win98. All it was was that the pictures at the end had been tampered with and It couldnt display them any more so it just displayed that instead.
    All I had to do was reset the shutdown screens that it displays and then all was fine.

Why do you want to switch your computer off?
    \"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.\"
    Sir Winston Churchill.

i run win2k adv srvr and i had an issue that was somewhat similar to what you are having. And the only way i was able to get around it was by uninstalling the 3rd party prog. remember that 2k is ntfs format and its filing system is different then win98(fat32) so be carefull when flashing the bios, sometimes it will crash the system.

Try this:
    Forced shutdown of a remote nt/2k server

It's a tutorial I wrote on forced shutdown for winnt/2k. Might help...
    \"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.\"
    Sir Winston Churchill.

Well, as to the reason I need to shut the computer off, it's actually not my box but a co-worker's box where I'm employed at. They pretty much all shut their boxes down at night, so that's the reason. It wouldn't be the end of the world to leave it on, but I'd like to address this issue if at all possible.

ntsa, I read your tutorial, that looks like some good material. I'll try that first thing when I get back to work tomorrow morning. That may end up doing the trick - I was looking online for some kind of utility, run from a command prompt that would completely shut the machine down, so maybe this will work.

I've had issues like these in the past, mostly with 98 boxes and such, and have been able to work through them. This one is proving to be more of a pain than the rest.

Thanks for all the input so far guys.. I really appreciate it..
    - Maverick

Well, no luck on this issue as of yet - ntsa, I tried running your shutdown program, but it's not doing the trick. I've also thumbed through the event logs, but I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary. I just don't know about this one, it's got me stumped and I'm starting to get fed up with it.

Anyhow - anyone reading this have any other ideas?

Thanks, again...
    - Maverick