Thread: Security Hole in WatchDog

Exclamation Security Hole in WatchDog

I don't know where this post should go, so please bear with me. If there is anyone using Watchdog for an internet tracer, they should reconsider. I was going to a college that required this to be put on every computer that accessed the internet. Unfortunately, I was using a 486 dx2 66 mhz machine with 32 megs of ram....A really fast computer This program was designed, not to block the bad sites, but to track them. Kind of like a Big Brother watching what you are doing. The problem was that it was seriously affecting the performance of my system as it constantly ran in the background. I, of course, was locked out and could not turn it off.....of course, that would defeat the purpose. :-) So, I had to find a way around it. The loophole is that it stores the important info in the registry. I won't post it here because this is not a forum for breaking things, but I just wanted to give a heads up to those who might be using it to track where your kids or employees are going. It is easy to clean up the logs so that you cant tell that it has been turned off and that the "user" actually has admin rights. If you are curious about the hack, feel free to send me a private message. I hope that someone can find use of this information. Take care.
    M$ support is like shooting yourself in the left foot and then putting a band-aid on the right one.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I'm curious as to what important info is kept in the registry?

Is it just URLs or more like credit cards, etc.?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

The important stuff is encypted passwords and logs of everything you do, including how long you spent in any program or file. What file you are using and where it is located on your hd.
    M$ support is like shooting yourself in the left foot and then putting a band-aid on the right one.

The security hole is in the fact that if you are the administrator, it is very easy for anyone with a little computer experience to turn it off even if they don't have admin rights and you would never know it. *speaking from experience, as I did that*