Thread: challenge 2

challenge 2

seeing as i have had some positive response from the first challenge, which by the way no one has solved yet i thought i would issue another one that is slightly easier. This one took me 30 mins, it is a question often given to prospective micro$oft programmers etc as a lateral thinking exercise. The actual answer does relate to PC hardware strangely enough.

The band U2 are on one side of a river that is linked by a bridge, thay have to cross this bridge to get to their concert which starts in 17 minutes. They can only cross the bridge 2 at a time but when they do they can only cross at the speed of the slowest person and they have to cross 2 at a time cos it is night time and only have one torch, so when two cross one of them has to return to bring another across.

The members are :
    Bono = 1 min
    adam = 2 min
    edge = 5 min
    larry = 10 min

where 10 min means that it takes larry 10 minutes to cross.

example.

adam and edge cross which takes 5 minutes, edge returns which takes another 5 min and then he crosses with larry which takes 10 minutes. this already has taken 20 minutes and bono is still on the other side.

example 2.

bono crosses with adam which takes 2 minutes, bono returns which takes another minute and then crosses with edge which tkaes 5 minutes and then returns adding another minute then crosses with larry which takes another 10 minutes. this hs taken 19 minutes so again they are late.

How can they cross following the rules in only 17 minutes, and not they cant chuck the torch back across and noone is going to swim as i know someone will post these answers. it can be done but how ?
    good luck
    Our destiny is to endure all hardships that we encounter along the path to what we perceive to be true and worthwhile !

The Head foundation
    Please give generously

Webius Designerous Indiginous

Answer here

Bono and Adam go across together = 2 mins

Bono goes back = 1 min

Edge and Larry go across = 10 mins

Adam goes back = 2 mins

Bono and Adam go across = 2 mins

17 mins.. w00t

I used to love these questions in school, got any more?

started 6:57 ended 7:15 18 mins taken

BTW: I still havn't gotten the first one yet.. any hints for it?

Figured I would hide the answer for others

ok smartass, well done xmaddness and good idea to keep it hidden incase others want a go.

glad to see that the first one still has you guessing though.

good work. i have others but will put them up gradually cos people are bound to give me negative points cos it aint security related and all the rest of it.
    Our destiny is to endure all hardships that we encounter along the path to what we perceive to be true and worthwhile !

The Head foundation
    Please give generously

Another Challenge

Hi Guys

Try to figure this one out:
    Good Luck you will need it.....

u, q uFwc| m

[? I i C ,C,g zt#?C ( 8)C % vrq !P5$ ?v@z vy #v C p2@ *H!v" #wM> 7:uH !u lq wL7 , 9%C*g n n* ME5 B )9+gx # uMF (D%Az p!:
    0 Q5&G) 9 ,jo nzCC 6;%;+ qp X w@55F 0 H' q"! $ C<97* 5&f y$# N ?6FyF !v&.<

|>2 F|9* s"{%C 65A% 5*vs ozC v L Ey7 ,kyz G
    28( B)=. gvqrE 5 28 +<z y |u% M 6 B:u 6zw} o}P@8 E6 G} cvx | MD %7 *I+r ozrC4 N

p% C,jo! "S?7 7 zF' o K!% G3/7 jz
    7u rmzJ 2( F| 9 +wz !sK5 /3. C { vrq z?>' QB

r %gxp{ C>7 `
    6t'p q!sQC 6:u@ $ okw s L? /3. D *qrup GD,@{ H}g p!sC 5;7)7 !uo { tg ?5 3vF! fqu|E D+7 zFzgn {{ M6 6By9 xj y! }D D +7 'F zu}.

OK51 6$9&v >
    .b F5 5; {<, q p #vC @(A' @z vy ns Q 5&G)9 !p ! tsGB 37)G' p}8 v ME67* ](czq #QY $ @x 9{ hoo%Q 1*3} B+v " z#C16 A%5wn o "sG J8DyG A urm zJ >2 F v9 .kyxo R5'Q

UAzp nysLD V
    Q% C* ur mzJ 1 1K '9 *uyz pC 4( B)=.g n {t J9)7@ @!do !%WY 2D 'F 'ro!% W G,F |C-v n$s N B25yG + qp xoUT

Know one will figure this out.....