Thread: Error Using Win98|Tiny

Error Using Win98|Tiny

Okay,
    I have learned my fair share as to what error messages mean and I have learned how to decipher them so to speek, but this one got even me. There is a screen shot of the message that tiny personal firewall popped up to me attatched at the bottom of this thread, but can someone please tell me what this means. Or anything about it at all please.

Also, if I block it, an alert pops up that states the following:

DHCP Client
    Your computer was unable to reach a special network server (DHCP) to renew its address. Do you want to see further messages relating to network configuration, blah blah blah. . .

i would imagine altho i am sure someone will correct me if im wrong) that it is to do with your isp and your machine is trying to renew its lease of its ip, the 255.255.255.255 is the broadcast address to every machine on your network and the UDP packet is what is sent for DHCP renewals and leases etc to port 67 and 68, if i was you i would allow it and as for you getting use to error messages then i am not surprised if you have a tiny machine (if off course you do)
    Our destiny is to endure all hardships that we encounter along the path to what we perceive to be true and worthwhile !

The Head foundation
    Please give generously

Are you on a dynamic IP addressing system, in other words, when you connect to your ISP, does your IP vary from time to time? (Using dialup would probably mean yes. Cable, probably no. DSL, maybe no...)

Allowing outgoing information shouldn't be too much of a security issue, and it may be necessary if you want to dial in to your ISP under certain setups.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Yes I have a dynamic IP address, but this just started happening. I have been using the same ISP for (4) years now and have never seen this before, I am just very curious as to what exactly my computer is trying to do.

it seems as tho your machine is just trying to communicate with the dhcp server from which it obtained its address, as far as i know a udp packet to 255.255.255.255 is not really an issue although i can understand why u have only just started getting the message, but as for what is your machine doing then it is simply dhcp communication.
    Our destiny is to endure all hardships that we encounter along the path to what we perceive to be true and worthwhile !

The Head foundation
    Please give generously