Unchecked Buffer in Gopher Protocol Handler-Q323759 Security Update

Thread: Unchecked Buffer in Gopher Protocol Handler-Q323759 Security Update

Exclamation Unchecked Buffer in Gopher Protocol Handler-Q323759 Security Update

Unchecked Buffer in Gopher Protocol Handler Can Run Code of Attacker's Choice (Q323889)
    Originally posted: June 11, 2002

Who should read this bulletin: Customers using Microsoft® Internet Explorer; System administrators running Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration (ISA) Server 2000 or Microsoft Proxy Server 2.0.

Impact of vulnerability: Run Code of Attacker's Choice.

Maximum Severity Rating: Critical

Recommendation: Customers should implement the workaround detailed in the FAQ.

Affected Software:

Microsoft Internet Explorer
    Microsoft Proxy Server 2.0
    Microsoft ISA Server 2000

Patches are under development and will be posted as soon as they are completed

I dont know if I have to be sad or bad .

Source: focus-ms@securityfocus.com

What classic MS, their newest critical alert dealing with the Gopher Root Vulnerability discussed on Security Focus last week <url> seems to break windows media player.

Is there any validity to this- and, does their fix work?

More info on the microsoft critical alert: MS02-027

More info on the breakage: http://www.pivx.com/workaround_fail.html
    I found a response on the text above..

Source: focus-ms@securityfocus.com

Why would you phrase the question like this when you *are* PivX, know the vulnerability exists, and have your own fix for it?

I mean, asking "is there any validity to this" seems almost like you are trying to pretend to be an unattached 3rd party-- To me, anyway...

I would think it would be just fine to say "Hey, here is the problem, we have verified it, and we have a solution.... "

Of course, feel free to correct me if I am wrong...

They do have small flame's in "focus-ms" aswell .

what do you say we form a posse and go there and flame away... lol

Just goes to show you M$ has no clue as to what gopher was or even why they put it into their OS, oops I think they pay right to use it to the dot edu that invented it, or was it winsock? In short have not allowed gopher on any of my servers as a service since ohooo 1996. Gopher is not new is old, like Archie, Varonica...now JugHead that be M$...then again mention finger in 1996 and newbies thought well cyber sex...LOL...oh never mind ;D I'm all for the possie
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg