Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how do i auto mount?

Antionline Herpetologist
    Sorry VK, my mistake. Linuxconf is not installed only on RedHat 7.2 and above and not 7.x.
    My bad.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

Senior since the 3 dot era
    no problem, I was a little confused with your post cause I was sure I had linuxconf on my RH installs...
    I edited my previous post to make things clear...

cheers,

VK

i use Mandrake 8.2, i love it....but I often wish I had RedHat, is it really that great? I'm thinking about getting it.

lol, one of my friends has a huge redhat pro off-the-shelf distro, he had to pay $600, then he realized that he could have just taken a few days to download it.........

sorry, I should point out that the reason i don't ask my friend how good Redhat is is that he lives 3 hours away, and gets on his comp about once a week......

btw, what is w00t?

str34m3r
    Scorpion's reply is the best solution. It has two primary benefits...

1) The /etc/fstab file is universal across linux distributions therefore, scorpion's solution work no matter which version of linux you have.

2) Any time you work from the command prompt rather than a gui control panel, you will gain a better understanding of how your machine works and you will possibly be able to answer your own questions next time.

VictorKaum - This is the story as best I understand it from talking to a guy from RedHat. (Poetic license heavily used)

In the beginning was the command line, and it was good. The mystical linux gurus danced around the command line in funny little hats administering their boxes and grew great and powerful in the land. But the masses said "I don't like typing, can't I just click something?" and "It's too hard to use, it'll never be popular." So in an attempt to please the masses, the gurus put their heads together and created a creature we now know as linuxconf. At first, linuxconf was a friendly little creature that helped the masses administer a few features of their boxes and help the masses get used to linux slowly. The masses loved linuxconf and fed it goodies by giving it more and more access. But as they gave linuxconf more goodies, it grew larger and larger and began to take over other areas of their systems. Eventually, linuxconf grew so large that it began to tell the masses what they could and couldn't administer on their own. One poor user tried to configure his network card on his own. Another tried to manually add an entry to his fstab. But the next time linuxconf went by, he saw the changes to the configuration files and said to himself "I didn't authorize these changes, I'll set them back to what they were the last time I was here." So linuxconf continued for a while wreaking havok on manual configurations until eventually the mystical linux gurus decided that he had grown too large. Even though they loved their creation, they knew that it had to go. There was sadness in the land at the death of linuxconf, but it was replaced with mirth when the masses discovered that linuxconf's children were much better behaved but just as friendly.

Antionline Herpetologist
    The only problem with scorpion's reply is that you have to use vi. After using Linux for over four years (on and off) , I'm still not totally comfortable with it. I try to use pico or one of the editors in X whenever possible and only use vi when I don't have any other choice (eg. I'm stuck on a SCO system without X). So, IMO, you can't really expect a newbie to use vi without pointing him to a tutorial on it.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

what are the commands for vi???

thanks

in the terminal type ->

mount -t /dev/hda1 /home/usernameyouhave

str34m3r
    frednirk > Did you actually read the post? He's already figured out how to mount the drive. He's trying to figure out how to make it automount every time the computer boots up. Which means either editing the fstab file or running some program to do it for you. It's cool that you wanted to be helpful, but next time try to read the post a little closer first.

thank you everyone for your input
    i finally got around to automounting and go it to work

thank you again for all the help!!!!!!!!!